Huyang Forest - thousand’s of years old forest
Last Update: 17th October 2020
It is said that Huyang trees live for more than 1,000 years, stand for 1,000 years after death and even can not be eroded for 1,000 years after they fall down. They have strong vitality. They are coldness-resistant, heat-resistant, alkali-resistant, waterlogging-resistant and drought-resistant. They are known as “Desert Warriors”. In autumn, they always present the most breathtaking views.
Huyang Forest Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Huyanglin (胡杨林)
- Location: Jinta Desert, Dunhuang Xihu Wetland
- Things to do there: Photography, Hiking
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Archaeologists
- Time required: 2 – 3 x hours
In Gansu, there are several Huyang Forests, including the forest in Dunhuang Xihu Wetland and the forest in Jinta Desert which is around 450 kilometers east of Mogao Caves. Compared to Xihu Wetland Huyang Forest, Jinta Huyang Forest is larger with more trees.
You will be shocked at the different strange shapes of Huyang trees. Some are like the dancing dragons. It is even hard to hug around the large Huyang tree for several adults. The most breathtaking Huyang Forest always appears between the middle August and the early September. This period of time is the most ideal for photographing.
At Dunhuang Xihu Wetland Huyang Forest situated around 100 kilimoters northeast of Mogao Caves, you will not only enjoy the stunning Huyang trees with other types of trees including Haloxylon ammodendron, Nitraria tangutorum, and Lycium ruthenicum, Ephedra przewalskii but also find wild animals, such as wild camels, bactrian camels, Gazella subgutturosas, red foxes, Teratoscincus, sand boa and rare birds, including golden eagles, black storks, Little Bustards, Great Bustards, Macqueen’s Bustards, Steppe Eagles and so on.
Located some 450 kilometers east of Mogao Caves, Jinta Huyang Forest is the largest artificial plantation forest in Hexi Corridor. It is a combination of desert, forests, lakes and countryside. It features different beautiful landscapes around the year.
f you are planning to visit Huyang Forest for photography purposes, the best time to visit is during the sunrise and the sunset.
The best months to visit are August and September.
As for the way to Dunhuang Xihu Wetland Huyang Forest, there is no direct bus from Dunhuang. Therefore, the only one option is to rent a vehicle.
Regarding the way to Jinta Huyang Forest which is located 48 kilometers from the City of Jiuquan, you could rent a vehicle to the forest from Jiuquan.
- Opening hours for Dunhuang Xihu Wetland Huyang Forest: 24 hours.
- As at 17th October 2020, the entrance pricing to Dunhuang Xihu Wetland Huyang Forest (including entrance ticket and the off-road vehicle ride) is 120 CNY per person.
Opening hours for Jinta Desert Huyang Forest: 06:00 – 19:00 (August 1 – November 30); 08:00 – 18:00 (December 1 – July 31)
- The entrance pricing to Jinta Huyang Forest is 65 CNY per person; the entrance ticket to the shuttle bus is 20 CNY per person; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) are free of charge.
- For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please take care of yourself in Dunhuang Xihu Huyang Forest as there are many wild animals.
- Please take enough food with drinking water with you.
- Please check out the weather forecast in case that Dunhuang is attacked by sand storms when you are visiting the park.
- Please wear the sunscreen cream, sunglasses and the like to stop the strong sunlight shining your body directly in the dry weather.