Humble Administrator’s Garden - largest classical gardens in Suzhou
Last Update: 14th October 2020
With an area of 5.2 hectares, Humble Administrator’s Garden was originally built at early 16th Century. Most of the existing buildings in the garden were rebuilt in 1850 with the original layout in the Ming Dynasty (1368 -1644). You’ll not only appreciate the amazing views of the landscape but also can know some about the history and gardening technique in Suzhou Garden Museum.
Humble Administrator’s Garden Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Zhuozhengyuan (拙政园)
- Area: 5.2 x hectares
- Things to do there: Photography, History and Culture, Architecture
- Who visits: Photographers, History and Culture Lovers, Architects
- Time required: 2 – 3 x hours
Interested in visiting Humble Administrator’s Garden on a Tour?
What to expect at the Humble Administrator’s Garden
The middle garden features the most stunning highlights of Humble Administrator’s Garden. It covers an area of 1.2 hectares. You’ll see exquisite pavilions close to waters or even in the waters. Xiangzhou Building has a structure of a boat. Accompanied by plum trees, Xuxiang Yunwei Pavilion is a good spot where you can appreciate the appealing plum blossoms at early spring. Surrounded by sycamore trees and bamboos, Wuzhuyouju Pavilion which is backed by a long corridor faces a pool. Each white wall has one round hole working as the door. Looking in the distance, you’ll be amazed at the views of one hole lying behind another one.
Xiaofeihong Covered Bridge is one of the highlights in the middle garden. Red railings with the reflection in clear water create gorgeous views to admire. At early June, you can be able to appreciate colorful water lily in the pool in Yuanxiang Hall. Yulan Hall offers bamboo forests, mangnolia flowers and sweet-scented osmanthus.
Shuxiang Hall is the main building in the east garden. With 48 pictures of exquisite carvings, it faces a pool. French wooden windows with great apron board carvings make the building more distinctive. Hanqing Pavilion looks like a phoenix which spread the wings to fly. Furong Waterside Pavilion with part on the land and another part on the water is also a good spot to view the water lily.
West garden features the Mandarin Duck Hall to explore. Thirty-six Mandarin Ducks Hall, the north hall, name of which comes from the history that 36 pairs of mandarin ducks were raised by the owner in the past has a curved roof. It is worth admiring the dimensional carvings of pine, bamboo, plum blossom and magpie in the Liuting Pavilion. Located on artificial hills with green plants, Fucui Pavilion looks as if it floated on dark green shades.
Every spring, more than 100 species of azalea are regularly on display on the azalea show in the Humble Administrator’s Garden. What’s more, Water Lily Festival and chrysanthemum show are regularly held in the garden in summer and autumn respectively.
Best time to visit the Humble Administrator’s Garden
The Humble Administrator’s Garden is the most popular garden in Suzhou. It is suggested that you visit it in the early morning on weekdays.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
How to get to the Humble Administrator’s Garden
Several buses pass by the Humble Administrator’s Garden. Thus, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the entrance to the pedestrian street where any car is forbidden to run and the garden is located and then walk to the garden. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus Y1, Y2, Y5, 202, 313, 923, 529, 40 or Bus 78 to the Stop of Suzhou Museum (苏州博物馆). Then walk to the garden.
Additional Humble Administrator’s Garden Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 07:30 – 17:30 (March 1 – November 15); 07:30 – 17:00 (November 16 – February 29)
- As at 14th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the garden is 70 CNY per person; children between 1.2m tall (1.2m tall included) and 1.4m tall (1.4m tall not included) are charged 35 CNY per person; the elder between 60 years old (60 years old included) and 70 years old (70 years old not included) are charged 35 CNY per person; the elder above 70 years old (70 years old included) and children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) are free of charge; For the latest pricing, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please book the entrance ticket via Suzhou Tourism Official Account (苏州旅游总入口)on WeChat.
- Please present your passports to the staff at the entrance.
Interested in visiting the Humble Administrator’s Garden on a Tour?