Huixian Wetlands - the largest primitive eco-wetland in the Guilin Area!
Last Update: 17th June 2019
What are the Huixian Wetlands?
The Huixian Wetlands are still less popular among visitors coming to Guilin, despite it's incredible beauty. Huixian is an integration of karst lakes, karst underground rivers, old canals, local wildlife and wild plants.
Huixian Wetlands Fast Facts
What to expect at the Huixian Wetlands
Visitors to Guilin are amazed at the seemingly never-ending karst mountains and rivers that stretch for as far as the eye can see. Aside from the Li River Cruise when travelling to Guilin, visitors also enjoy experiencing the karst scenery up-close and even climbing some of the karst mountains!
Located some 30 kilometers from downtown Guilin, Huixian Wetlands offers a distinctive experience with its unique natural lakes, hundreds of shoals, an old canal, an old bridge with a history of over 1,300 years, natural rivers and hundreds of types of wildlife. The only one way to appreciate its beauty is to take a boat on the lakes. If you are lucky enough, you will encounter aquatic birds playing in/on the water or taking a rest in the grasses. Local villagers use boats to transport goods, poultry or livestock to the other end of the wetlands. As Huixian Wetlands is beside the villages, visitors also can explore the local life there
Best time to visit the Huixian Wetlands
If you’re planning to visit Huixian Wetlands for photography purposes, the best time to visit is on fine days from April to October. If you happen to visit it during June, the beautiful ponds filled with water lilies will amaze and shock you. If you are interested to explore or experience the farming in Guilin area, you can visit Huixian Wetlands from the mid April to the beginning of May or from the end July to the mid August.
How to get to the Huixian Wetlands
As Huixian Wetlands is situated beside the villages in Lingui countryside, there is no direct bus to the wetlands from Guilin or Lingui (临桂). Therefore, there are only a few options:
- Rent a vehicle departing from either Guilin or Lingui County. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a bus from both Guilin or Lingui to Huixian Town. Get off at the Crossing of Mudong (睦洞路口) . Then, take a local motorbike to the dock of Huixian Wetlands. The pricing for a local motorbike is less than 5 CNY per person as at 17th June 2019.
Additional Huixian Wetlands Travel Advice
- Bring an umbrella and a wide - brimmed hat with you to prevent rain or the strong sunshine.
- Wear sunscreen.
- Take care of your camera and your cellphone when admiring the stunning natural beauty on a boat.
- Bring enough bottles of water and food with you if you don’t want to have lunch in a local farmer’s house.