Huangpu River - the landmark river flowing through Shanghai
Huangpu River is one of the earliest artificial rivers in history. Along the river, you will appreciate the highlights of the city views of Shanghai, including the Bund International Architecture Exhibition at the west bank, Oriental Pearl Tower and other modern buildings at the east bank.
- Chinese Name: Huangpujiang (黄浦江)
- Length: Approx.113 x kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Cruise
- Who visits: Photographers, Nature Lovers
- Time required: 50 – 60 minutes (Huangpu River Cruise)
Interested in visiting the Huangpu River during a Shanghai Tour?
Nowadays, more and more visitors choose to enjoy the cruise on the Huangpu River. You can enjoy the day cruise or the night cruise. Generally speaking, the night cruise on the Huangpu River is more stunning. During the cruise, you will see the Yangpu Bridge and Nanpu Bridge spanning across Huangpu River and the Oriental Pearl Tower.
In the evening, all the buildings along Huangpu River are covered with bright colors. The cruise departs from the Pujiang Tourists Pier (Shiliupu Pier – 十六铺码头) at the Bund and ends at Wusong River Mouth. It last for approximately 60 minutes. The route is more than 30 kilometers. The Pujiang Tourists Pier is also known as Hotels Pier in Shanghai as a variety of hotels are situated there. During the cruise, you can take a close look at the Oriental Pearl Tower, Shanghai Tower, Jin Mao Tower, Shanghai International Finance Center and tens of Western buildings at the Bund in the stunning light. The ship passing the Suzhou River, you will see the Shanghai International Passenger Terminal where passengers from all over the world gather. Then, you will find Gongqing Forest Park, the pagoda-shaped water tower of Zhabei Power Plant, and the West Battery Site at Wusongko.
Best time to visit the Huangpu River
If you are planning to visit Huangpu River for photography purposes, the best time to visit is in the evening.
The best months to visit Huangpu River are from March to October.
How to get to the Huangpu River
Huangpu River Cruise departs at Shiliupu Pier. There are several buses passing by the pier. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to Shiliupu Pier. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 33, 55, 65, 305, 868, 910, 926 and Bus 928 to the Stop of Zhongshandond Erlu Kaikaihelu (中山东二路新开河路站). Then, walk to the No. 481, Zhongshandong Erlu.
Additional Huangpu River Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 11:00 – 21:00. Between 11:00 and 13:00, it runs every 1 hours. Between 13:00 and 21:30, it runs every 30 minutes.
- As at 8th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the Huangpu River Cruise is 120 CNY per person; children under 1.3m tall are free of charge. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The tickets can only be booked online. Please contact the cruise company at 400-788-0345 before paying for the electronic tickets to confirm the information.
- Once being sold, e-tickets will not be returned.
- A confirmation message will be sent to your cellphone once you have paid for the tickets.
- Please change your tickets at No. 481, Zhongshandong Erlu with the confirmation message 15 minutes prior to the departure time of the cruise at least.
- If interested, you can enjoy the Western or Chinese food or buffet on the ship for extra charge.