Ha Giang – a hidden gem in Northern Vietnam
Last Update: 24th October 2020
Home to Tay, Miao, Yao, Nong and Daiyi People for hundreds of years, Ha Giang is endowed with rich natural resources. Therefore, it is a paradise for nature, and culture lovers. Visitors will be amazed at the natural views in Ha Giang and impressed by the cultures of the ethnic minorities in Ha Giang.
Ha Giang Fast Facts
- Name: Ha Giang
- Location: approximately 20 x kilometers from the China-Vietnam border
- Things to do there: Photography, Vietnamese Culture, Adventure
- Who visits: Photographers, Vietnamese Culture Lovers, Adventure Enthusiasts
- Time required: 2 – 4 x days
If you’d love to enjoy the natural beauty with the authentic culture of the ethnic minorities in one spot in Ha Giang, Dong Van Karst Plateau Geopark is a great option. The park is decorated with many limestone peaks. Home to 17 ethnic minorities, the park also features colorful and interesting cultures to experience.
Ha Giang Loop is well-known for the Happiness Road winding around the mountains. Through 7-years hard work, the road was opened to the public in 1965. With a length of 185 kilometers, it connects Ha Giang City, Dong Van and Meo Vac.
If you are interested to explore Ma Pi Leng Pass, the best way is to enjoy a motorcycle tour to the pass. With breathtaking views, Ma Pi Leng Pass offers kind of dangerous road to experience motorcycle driving. Drive along the road and you’ll get to Dong Van Old Town where the old quarter with old buildings is situated. If you are planning to get more acquainted with the local culture, it is recommended that you explore the town on Sunday when locals hold the interesting market.
Pho Bang Village is a great options for those who love the culture of ethnic minorities. In addition, Ha Giang offers many spots worth visiting, such as Meo Vac Town, Ha Giang Markets, Hmong King Palace, etc.
he best months to visit Ha Giang are from April to November.
There are several buses departing from Hanoi to Ha Giang every day and it takes around 6 hours. Alternatively, you could rent a vehicle to Ha Giang from Hanoi directly.
- Please search for the weather condition for your Ha Giang Tour as it is set in the mountainous area.
- Please take enough clothes with you if you are planning to explore it between September and March.
- Please wear sunglasses and take sunscreen cream with you.
- If you’d like to take photos of locals, please get the permission from them first.