Pho Bang Village – a village in Vietnam located alongside the border of China
Last Update: 24th October 2020
Bordering China, Pho Bang Village is home to Hoa and Mong ethnic minorities for ages. The old houses at the village there feature a Chinese structure. Set in the limestone mountains, it is very quiet with few tourists.
Pho Bang Village Fast Facts
- Name: Pho Bang Village
- Location: Border of China in North Western Vietnam
- Things to do there: Photography, Vietnamese History and Culture
- Who visits: Photographers, History and Culture Lovers
- Time required: 1 – 2 x hours
What to expect at Pho Bang Village
Working as the former capital of the entire region, the Pho Bang Village is rich in old culture. You’ll find Chinese people who have settled there for hundreds of years. The houses are built in wooden columns and mud walls. Villagers love this kind of architecture because this kind of houses is always cool in summer and warm in winter. Walking around the village, and you may find locals doing daily life without being influenced by tourists.
The fields near the houses are decorated with roses. If lucky enough, you may see locals plowing the fields in the very traditional method. At late March and early April, peach trees are in blossom, creating a stunning views.
The village just has two streets lined with tens of houses as the old capital was removed to another place. As a result, the village is very peaceful with fewer tourists. The road to the village winds around the mountain, featuring breathtaking views to admire.
If you want to know more about the local culture, it is suggested that you immerse yourself in the local market which is regularly held every six days. Life there is slow and tranquil without the crowd of visitors. It is worth exploring.
Best time to visit Pho Bang Village
The best time to visit the village is in the morning.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
How to get to Pho Bang Village
As there are no direct buses from Dong Van Town or Ha Giang City to the village, the only option is to rent a vehicle.
Additional Pho Bang Village Travel Advice
- Tourists can visit the village at any time of the day.
- Please take enough clothes with you in case it is cool.
- Please take enough drinking water and food with you if you are not planning to eat at the nearby villages.
- It is recommended that you get a permit to Ha Giang beforehand.
- Please wear comfortable hiking shoes.
- Please take an umbrella or raincoat with you in case it is rainy.