Gulangyu Wharf - entry and exit point to Gulangyu Island, Xiamen
Last Update: 16th October 2020
Nowadays, there are 3 Gulangyu Wharves on the island in use. Piano Wharf, the oldest one just serves the local citizens in the daytime and it is the only wharf for tourists who exit the island and land the island at night. Tourist wharves working in the daytime are Necwo Wharf and Sanqiutian Wharf.
Gulangyu Wharf Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Gulangyu Matou (鼓浪屿码头)
- Number of the main wharves in use on Gulangyu Island: 3
- Things to do there: Photography, Sea Views, Ferry
- Who visits: Photographers, Nature Lovers
- Time required: 1 x hour
What to expect at the Gulangyu Wharf
If you’re interested to enjoy night views on Gulangyu Island, the Piano Wharf and Sanqiutian Wharf work for you. It’s named after the shape of the wharf. From 18:10 on, tourists can take the ferry at Hall 2 of Xiamen Ferry Terminal and disembark at Sanqiutian Wharf. If you’ve finished your night tour on the island, you can take a ferry at Sanqiutian Wharf and return to Hall 2 of Xiamen Ferry Terminal at night. Please note, the Piano Wharf is just opened to the tourists from 19:00 on.
After landing the island, you can just walk around it. If interested, you can stay overnight on the island. It is suggested that you admire the sunrise on the Sunlight Rock the next morning. It is worth getting up early for it. Then, you can explore Shu Zhuang Garden, and International Carvings Hall before the crowd comes.
If you’re planning to visit the island in the daytime, you’d need to take the ferry at Xiamen-Gulangyu Wharf before 17:30. If you take the ferry after 17:50, you’re required to board the ferry at the Ferry Terminal. You may land the Gulangyu Island at Sanqiutian Wharf or Necwo Wharf. If you’ve done your day tour on the island, you can take a ferry from either of them back to Xiamen Island before 17:30.
On the island, you can explore Shu Zhuang Garden with a piano museum, the organ museum and Haoyue Park. If you are interested in Buddhist buildings, you can explore the old Riyuangyan Temple.
Best time to visit Gulangyu Wharf
If you’d love to visit the Gulangyu Wharf for photography purposes, the best time to visit is at sunrise or sunset.
The best months to visit are from March to November.
How to get to the Gulangyu Wharf
The only option is to take a ferry to the island from Xiamen-Gulangyu Wharf or Xiamen Ferry Terminal.
Additional Gulangyu Wharf Travel Advice
- Opening hours for Necwo Wharf: 07:20 – 17:40.
- Opening hours for Sanqiutian Wharf: 24 hours
- As at 16th October 2020, the entrance ticket for the superior round-trip ferry is 35 CNY per person; the entrance ticket for the luxury round-trip ferry is 50 CNY per person; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) is free of charge. For the latest pricing, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)