Last Update: 8th October 2020
What is the Gubeikou Great Wall of China ?
The Great Wall of China (Gubeikou) is the most complete Great Wall system in the history of the Great Wall in China. It consists of sections of the Great Wall built in the North Qi Dynasty (550 – 577) and the Ming Dynasty (1368 – 1644), including four sections of Wohu Mountain, Panlong Mountain, Jinshanling and Simatai.
It is the first military defense line in the northern part of Gubeikou. It is the strongest and most majestic section of the Great Wall in the Ming Dynasty.
- Chinese Name: Gubeikou Changcheng (古北口长城)
- Length: Over 60 x kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Architecture, Chinese Culture and History, Hiking
- Who visits: Photographers, Chinese Culture and History Lovers, Adventure Enthusiasts
- Time required: 5 – 6 x Hours
Located 100 kilometers from Beijing City, Great Wall of China (Gubeikou) offers the original appearance to explore. There are 143 watchtowers, 14 beacon towers, 16 mountain passes, 6 passes, 3 enclosures for defence outside a citygate.
In addition to the original buildings on the Great Wall of China, visitors can explore other sites, such as Yanglinggong Temple, Yaowang Temple, Caishen Temple, etc. If you are an adventurous and interested, you could visit the Great Wall of China in the evening. Please bring a flashlight with enough batteries with you in the evening. Some of the Great Wall of China only has damaged walls. Therefore, whenever you climb it, please take good care of yourself. As it hasn’t been rebuilt, visitors can feel its old history through the damaged buildings there.
If you are planning to visit Great Wall of China (Gubeikou), the best time to visit is at sunset.
The best months to visit Great Wall of China (Gubeikou) are from March to June and from September to November.
As Great Wall of China (Gubeikou) is located in the countryside, there are only a few options.
- Rent a vehicle from Beijing. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take the tourists bus of L677/8 from Beijing at 07:36 to Gubeikou.
- Take a bus (the last stop is Luanping(滦平) or Chengde(承德)) from Dongzhimen or Xizhimen. Please let the driver know that you will drop off at Gubeikou.
- Take a bus to Miyuan County. Then, take a direct bus from Miyuan.
- Opening hours: 24 hours
- As at 8th October 2020, entrance pricing is 45 CNY per person.
- As it is open for 24 hours a day, you can explore it in the evening if interested. Also, please remember to take necessary equipment with you, such as one or two flashlights, warm clothes (in spring, autumn and winter), enough drinking water and food, and a sleeping bag.
- For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- From the 12th tower of the east section, the great wall is very steep. Even there is no road for some places.
- Compared with other sections of Great Wall of China in Beijing Region, this section is the least touristy.
Interested in hiking the Great Wall from Gubeikou Great Wall of China on a Tour?