Last Update: 8th October 2020
What is the Jinshanling to Simatai Hiking ?
As is well known, the Great Wall of China (Jinshanling) is the best section for sunrise and sunset among the Great Wall of China. Situated about 130 kilometers away from Beijing, it is located at the branch of Yanshan Mountain on the border between Luanping and Miyun.
The scenery is the most spectacular in the morning and evening, and the clouds and rainbows after rain in summer and autumn are also amazing.
- Chinese Name: Changcheng Zuijia Richuj Riluo Guanjingdian (长城最佳日出日落观景点)
- Length of Jinshanling: 10.5 kilometers (5 – 6 kilometers open to the public)
- Things to do there: Photography, Architecture, Chinese Culture and History, Hiking
- Who visits: Photographers, Chinese Culture and History Lovers, Adventure Enthusiasts
- Time required: 2 x Days for Photography Purposes
Although the Great Wall of China (Jinshanling) has been renovated, it is much less touristy compared to Great Wall of China (Badaling) and Great Wall of China (Mutianyu). It is easy to hike on the Great Wall. The Great Wall of China (Jinshanling) is a paradise for photographers.
There are several best points for sunrise at Jinshanling – West Six Holes Tower (西六眼楼), West Five Holes Tower (西五眼楼), General Tower (将军楼), Sanchakou (三岔口), Small Jinshan Tower (小金山楼), Gaojian Tower (高尖楼), Flower Tower (花楼), and Guaijiao Tower (拐角楼).
At dawn, the Great Wall of China is like a sleeping dragon. When the sunlight spray the wall gradually, you will be amazed at the breathtaking views. If you are interested to admire the sunrise at Jinshanling, it is recommended that you stay overnight at one of farmer inns which are at the foot of the mountain one day ahead. For the stunning sunrise, you should get up at 04:00am in the early morning or you could get up at some time based on the month when you are planning to visit Jinshanling. It always takes about 30 to 60 minutes hike to the best points for sunrise at Jinshanling from one of the farmer inns. If you don’t like to get up early in the morning, you also can rent the camping equipment at one shop for the camping equipment or just take your own equipment. Then, you could camp at Jinshanling and don’t need to rise so early.
As for the sunset at Jinshanling, the best points are the West Five Holes Tower (西五眼楼),and General Tower (将军楼). If you are planning to enjoy the sunset at Jinshanling, it is suggested that you enter the scenic area at 17:00pm in summer and please check the sunset time ahead of time.
As mentioned above, if you’d like to enjoy the sunrise at Jinshanling, it is suggested that you stay overnight at one of farmer inns at the foot of the mountain and rise at 04:00am or at other time based on the month when you are planning to visit it. If you are interested to appreciate the sunset at Jinshanling, also please check out the sunset time ahead of time.
The best months to admire sunrise and sunset at Jinshanling are from May to October.
- Rent a vehicle from Beijing or Luanping. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take the shuttle bus from Dongzhimen on Saturday, Sunday and during the public holidays between April 1 and October 31. The journey lasts for around 2 hours. The ticket for the shuttle bus includes the round-trip between Dongzhimen Gate and the Great Wall of China (Jinshanling), one-way chairlift and the admission to the Great Wall of China (Jinshanling).
- Please take flashlights and enough batteries with you for the sunrise and sunset.
- Please bring enough clothes with you to keep warm as even it is in summer, it is a little cold at dusk and at dawn, not to mention in spring, autumn and winter.
- If you stay overnight at one of farmer inns at the foot of the mountain, it is a good chance for you to experience the local life and the local dishes.
- If you would like to challenge the harder section of Great Wall of China, it is recommended that you explore Jiankou Section. The best point for sunset there is Zhenbei Tower while the best point for sunrise is the high point at the north of Xida Wall (西大墙)