Grand Bazaar - the largest Bazaar in China located in Urumqi
Last Update: 17th October 2020
Completed on June 26, 2003, the Grand Bazaar lies at the Erdaoqiao business circle at the southern end of Tianshan District, Urumqi. It is a combination of Islam culture, architecture, ethnic commerce, entertainment, catering. The Bazaar is an exhibition center of tourism products in Xinjiang.
Grand Bazaar Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Grand Bazha (国际大巴扎)
- Area: 39,888 square meters
- Things to do there: Photography, Local Food, Hiking, Local Handicrafts
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Shopping Lovers, Foodies
- Time required: 2 – 3 x hours
What to expect at the Grand Bazaar
The Grand Bazaar features a strong Islamic architectural style. On the basis of covering the functionality of the building and the sense of the times, it reproduces the prosperity of the ancient Silk Road and embodies the rich ethnic characteristics and regional culture of the Western Region.
3,000 ethnic handicraft shops, a 3,000-square-meter square, a national banquet hall that can accommodate 1,000 people, an 80-meter-high sightseeing tower, and an imposing mosque gather at Great Bazaar.
There you will enjoy a variety of local fruits and snacks, such as baked samosa and roast whole lamb. It is a paradise for those who love collecting handicrafts featuring ethnic minorities’ style. You will find the unique costume, Uighur instruments (tambourine, Rewap, Eijieke, etc.), Uighur carpets, jewels, and scarves together with many types of raisins.
If interested, you could appreciate ethnic performance at the national banquet hall. You will enjoy the distinctive buffet dinner 30 minutes prior to the performance, including all the specialty snacks in Xinjiang and fresh fruits. Every show presents the characteristics of ethnic minorities who live in Xinjiang, Kazak, Uighur, Russian, Tajik and so on. Performers always invite the audience to join them together to enjoy dancing. In addition, you could explore bars at the Bazaar in the evening.
Best time to visit the Grand Bazaar
If you are planning to visit Grand Bazaar for photography purposes or the shows, the best time to visit is in the evening.
The best months to visit are from April to July and from September to October.
How to get to the Grand Bazaar
Several buses pass by the Bazaar. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the Bazaar. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 10, 16, 61, 63, 104, 310, 911, 612, 920 and Bus 923 to the Stop of Erdaoqiao (二道桥站).
Additional Grand Bazaar Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 24 hours
- As at 17th October 2020, it is free to visit the Bazaar.
- If you would like to take photos of locals, please ask them whether it is OK with them.
- Please take care of your valuables.
- Please wear the sunscreen cream, sunglasses and the like as it is dry around the year in Urumqi.