Ganzhou Ancient Tower - famous tower along the Silk Road
Last Update: 17th October 2020
Ganzhou Ancient Tower consists of a wooden tower standing at the Central Square in Zhangye and an earthen tower in Zhangye Dafo Temple. The wooden tower was originally the site of the Wanshou Temple in the Sui Dynasty (581 – 618). According to relevant documentation, it was built in 582 to preserve the relics of Sakyamuni..
Ganzhou Ancient Tower Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Ganzhou Guta (甘州古塔)
- Height: 32 x meters
- Things to do there: Photography, Buddhism, Buddhism
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Buddhism Believers
- Time required: approx.30 x mins
What to expect at the Ganzhou Ancient Tower
The wooden tower at the Central Square in Zhangye is a pavilion-style tower. It was originally built in 582. The existing tower was built in 1926. The 9-storey tower is 32 meters tall. The tower is a regular octahedron. The tower is a complete wooden frame. The inner diameter is about 3.4 meters. The base of the tower is 1 meter high. It is surrounded by granite stone fences engraved with auspicious patterns such as dragons and phoenixes, peacocks and auspicious clouds.
The bottom of the tower is supported by twenty large columns. The first to seventh floors features brick walls. There are eight beams on each of the floor, each pointing to eight different directions. The eight corners of each floor is decorated with wood head of the dragon with a bead in the mouth.
The earthen tower is located in Zhangye Dafo Temple. The tower is 33.37 meters tall. There are three layers of Xumizuo on the base. There are reliefs of Heavenly Kings on the middle one. There are four small towers on the upper and lower pedestals.
Best time to visit the Ganzhou Ancient Tower
The best time to visit Ganzhou Ancient Tower is in the morning.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
How to get to the Ganzhou Ancient Tower
As Ganzhou Ancient Tower includes the wooden tower at the Central Square and the earthen tower in Zhangye Dafo Temple which is near the Central Square, you can get to the Central Square and the Dafo Temple.
- Rent a vehicle to the Central Square to visit the wooden tower and walk to Dafo Temple. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 15, 16 and Bus 23 to the Stop of Dafosi (大佛寺站) or the Stop of Nanchengxiangkuo (南城巷口站).
Additional Ganzhou Ancient Tower Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 08:00 – 18:00
- As at 17th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the wooden tower is 20 CNY per person.
- The entrance pricing to the Dafo Temple is 41 CNY per person; the elder between 60 years old (60 years old included) and 69 years old (69 years old included) are charged 21 CNY per person; the elder above 70 years old (70 years old included) are free of charge; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) are free of charge. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Please take enough warm clothes as the temperature difference in Zhangye especially in winter is big.
- Please wear the sunscreen cream and sun glasses even in winter.
- Please take body lotion, lip balm, and hand cream as it is always dry in Zhangye.