What is Furong Ancient Town?
Located around 85 kilometers southwest of Zhangjiajie, Furong Ancient Town has a history of more than 2,000 years. The town was built along the hillside with several waterfalls through it. It is home to Tujia, Miao and Han people for hundreds of years.
- Chinese Name: Furong Guzhen (芙蓉古镇)
- Area: 168 square kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Hiking, Ethnic Minority Culture Exploration
- Who visits: Photographers, Ethnic Minority Culture Lovers, Hikers, Adventure enthusiasts
- Time required: 2 – 3 x hours
Surrounded by mountains and rivers, Furong Ancient Town features many old houses with high feet on the edge of cliffs. Old slate streets and lanes winds through the town. Tujia buildings with high feet stand along the streets, showing the Tujia culture and customs. Wuli Slate Street has witnessed the history of the town. Nowadays, various shops are situated on either side of the old street.
Several waterfalls flow through the town. 60 meters tall and 40 meters wide, Furongzhen Great Waterfall is the largest one on West Hunan. The water current is big enough in spring and summer so that visitors will enjoy the most stunning scenery of the waterfall. Visitors can explore the cave near the entrance to the waterfall – which is the ruins of the original shelter for Tujia people in the Qin Dynasty (221 – 207 BC). Tuwang Palace is worth visiting. The palace is a complex. During the reign of King Tusi, it is the barrack for soldiers.
The best time to visit Furong Ancient Town is from April to October. If you are planning to visit Furong Ancient Town for photography purposes, the best time to visit is in the early morning for the sunrise and clouds, in the late afternoon for the sunset and in the evening for the night view.
The road is developed around Furong Ancient Town. Therefore, there are a few options.
- Rent a vehicle from Zhangjiajia, Fenghuang Old Town or Jishou to the old town. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a direct bus from Zhangjiajie Bus Station (张家界汽车站) to Furong Ancient Town. It is some 1.5 hours drive.
- Take a direct bus from Jishou New Bus Station (吉首新车站) to the town. It is around 2 hours drive.
- If you depart from Fenghuang Old Town, take a bus from Fenghuang Bus Station (凤凰古城汽车站) to Zhangjiajie first. Then, Take a direct bus from Zhangjiajie Bus Station to Furong Ancient Town.
- Opening hours: 07:00 – 18:00
- As at 6th October 2020, entrance pricing is 100 CNY per person; children under 1.2m (1.2m not included) and the elder above 70 years old (70 years old included) are free of charge; entrance pricing for children between 1.2m (1.3m included) and 1.4m (1.4m not included) is 50 CNY per person. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- If you are planning to visit Furong Ancient Town, it is recommended that you stopover on the way to Zhangjiajie
- As for accommodations, there are a few hotels there. Others are family inns. Standing by rivers or waterfalls, these inns are clean and safe with reasonable pricing.