Cu Chi Tunnels – tunnels on the outskirts of Ho Chi Minh City
What is the Elephant Trunk Hill?
Elephant Trunk Hill Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Xiangbishan (象鼻山)
- Area: 11.88 x square meters
- Things to do there: Photography, Hiking, Nature
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts
- Time required: 1 – 2 x hours
Interested in visiting Elephant Trunk Hill as part of a Private Tour?
What to expect at Elephant Trunk Hill
Elephant Trunk Hill features the Water and Moon Hole, the Sunrise Pavilion, the Cave of Elephant’s Eye, Puxian Pagoda, Yunfeng Temple, and a stupa to explore.
Originally built in the early Ming Dynasty (1368 – 1644), Puxian Pagoda is 13.6 meters tall. It looks like a precious bottle or a handle of a sword sticking in the back of the Elephant Trunk Hill.
The Water and Moon Hole is located between the trunk of and the leg of the elephant. You will find tens of old stone inscriptions on the wall of the hole. With a width of between 5 and 10 meters, the Cave of the Elephant’s Eye is some 52.8 meters long, and 2 meters tall. The cave is situated next to the Water and Moon Hole.
As a former command post of the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom (1851-1864), Yunfeng Temple was the former residence of the late pioneer of the Japanese Buddhism – Monk Jianzheng. He lived in the temple for some one year.
Nowadays, the temple is the exhibition of the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom. You could see battle flags, weapons and shells used during the period in the temple. If interested, you also could visit Guilin Sanhua Xiangshan Wine Cellar in one cave of the hill.
Best time to visit Elephant Trunk Hill
The best time to visit Elephant Trunk Hill is in the morning.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
How to get to Elephant Trunk Hill
A few buses pass by the hill. Therefore, there are a few options.
- Rent a vehicle to the hill. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 2, 16, 23, and Bus 88 to the Stop of Xiangshan Gongyuan (象山公园站).
Additional Elephant Trunk Hill Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 06:30 – 19:00 (April – October); 07:00 – 18:30 (November – March)
- As at 18th January 2023, the entrance pricing to the park is 55 CNY per person; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) are free of charge; For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please take care of yourself when walking on the hill.