Flaming Mountains - sandstone colored mountains in Turpan, China
The Flaming Mountains are located 10 kilometers northeast of Turpan City, Xinjiang. It stretches for 98 kilometers from west to east. The main peak is 831.7 meters above sea level. In summer, the mountains lie in the scorching sun while the hot air rolls up to the sky. It looks as if a fire burned over the crimson mountains.
Flaming Mountains Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Huoyanshan (火焰山)
- Length: 98 x kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Geology, Hiking
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Geologists
- Time required: 1 – 2 x hours
The surface of the Flaming Mountains is very hot while the deep valleys in the Flaming Mountains are cool. In summer, between July and August, the temperature can increase up to 47 centigrade on the mountains. It is said that eggs could be roasted on the point which the sun shines to directly. In the valleys, green trees and other plants are amazing. You will also find the streams in the valley.
In the mountains area stand some sculptures of the characters in Journey to the West, such as Bull Demon King, Princess Iron Fan, Sun Wukong, etc. In addition, you will also find a huge thermometer there. If interested, you can enjoy camel riding there.
Best time to visit the Flaming Mountains
If you are planning to visit Flaming Mountains for photography purposes, the best time to visit is during the sunset.
The best months to visit are from April to July and from September to October.
How to get to the Flaming Mountains
There are direct buses to the Flaming Mountains from Turpan Bus Station (吐鲁番汽车站). Or, you can rent a vehicle to the mountains from Turpan.
Additional Flaming Mountains Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 08:00 – 21:00 (April 21 – October 20); 10:00 – 18:30 (October 21 – April 20)
- As at 17th October 2020, the entrance pricing to Flaming Mountains is 40 CNY per person.
- If you are interested to visit other attractions, such as Ancient City of Gaochang, Ancient City of Jiaohe and the like, you could also get the combo tickets.
- As at 17th October 2020, the combo ticket for Grape Valley, Ancient City of Gaochang, Flaming Mountains, Emin Minaret, Duke Office and Turpan Karez Folklore Park is 275 CNY per person.
- The combo ticket for Grape Valley, Ancient City of Gaochang, Flaming Mountains, Desert Botanical Garden and Turpan Karez Folklore Park is 250 CNY per person.
- The combo ticket for Grape Valley, Ancient City of Gaochang, Flaming Mountains, Astana Tombs and Turpan Karez Folklore Park is 250 CNY per person.
- The combo ticket for Grape Valley, Ancient City of Gaochang, Flaming Mountains, Tuyuq Village, Ancient City of Jiaohe and Turpan Karez Folklore Park is 310 CNY per person.
- The combo ticket is valid in 48 hours (If you buy the ticket at 10:00am on Wednesday 20th December 2018, the ticket is valid by 10:00am on Friday 22th December 2018).
- Children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) are free of charge.
- For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- Please take enough food with drinking water with you.
- Please wear the sunscreen cream, sunglasses and the like to stop the strong sunlight shining your body directly in the dry weather.
- Please take enough warm clothes with you even in summer as the temperature difference is big between the daytime and the evening in Turpan.
- As there is no road in the Flaming Mountains, please do not walk too far in the mountains in case of being lost.
Interested in visiting the Flaming Mountains on a Tour?