Famen Temple - offering the largest and oldest underground palace under the stupor
What is the Famen Temple?
Located in Famen Town, 10 kilometers north of Fufeng County, Baoji and 110 kilometers east of Xi’an, Famen Temple was originally built in 68 AD. The wooden stupor was built for preserving the Buddhist bone relics. The underground palace is under the stupor.
Famen Temple Fast Facts
What to expect at the Famen Temple
Acclaimed as a“Royal Temple”, Famen Temple preserves the sacred relics of the Buddha Shakyamuni for hundreds of years. Today's Famen Temple is divided into two parts: the Tang Dynasty-style old building complex (Famen Temple and Famensi Museum) and the controversial new cultural scenic area. Visitors can explore the underground palace with the cultural relics in the museum and Famen Temple Heshi Stupa where the Buddha finger relic is well-preserved.
In the Famensi Museum, visitors can admire cultural relics unearthed in the underground palace, such as the relics of Bachong Baohan Boxes where the Buddha relic was placed, the twelve-ring tin cane, the pure gold pagoda, the white marble bed net, hundreds of gold or silver ware, coloured glaze ware, silk fabrics, the tea sets used by the emperors in the Tang Dynasty, and so on.
Some of these treasures are made of pure gold. Craftmanship of some of the treasures have been lost in the world, and some are the only ones in the world. These objects reflect the sincerity of the royal family in the Tang Dynasty to worship the Buddha and the prosperity of the Tang Dynasty.
Best time to visit the Famen Temple
The best time to visit Famen Temple is in the morning as it is not hot during its opening hours. The best months to visit are from March to May, and from September to October.
How to get to the Famen Temple
Famen Temple is located in Famen Town 100 kilometers east of Xi’an. Therefore, there is a few options.
- Rent a vehicle to Famen Temple from Baoji or Xi’an. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a direct bus from Xi’an Chengxi Passengers Bus Station (西安城西客运站) to the temple. There are 4 buses at the station there.
- Take a direct bus from Baoji Long Distance Passengers Bus Station (宝鸡长途客运站) to the temple. The bus runs every one hour.
Additional Famen Temple Travel Advice
- Opening hours: March 1 - November 30 :08:30 - 19:00, (the tickets are not issued at 17:30); December 1 - February 28/29 : 09:00 - 18:00 (the tickets are not issued at 17:00)
- As at 24th July 2018, from March 1 to November 30, entrance pricing is 120 CNY per person; from December 1 to February 28/29, entrance pricing is 90 CNY per person. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The ticket is the pass for Famen Temple, Famensi Museum and Heshi Stupa.
- At the entrance of the temple, someone will tell you that he can take you to enter the temple from the rear gate if you offer him 60 CNY. Do not believe him as there is a check-in at the entrance of the underground palace.