Eastern and Western Pagodas - two of the oldest pagodas in Kunming
Last Update: 19th October 2020
Eastern Pagoda stands in Changle Temple which is well-known Eastern Temple, which the name of Eastern Pagoda comes from. The pagoda is 40.57 meters tall with a square base whose length of side is 12 meters. Western Pagoda is located in Huiguang Temple which is commonly known as Western Temple, which the name of Western Pagoda comes from. The pagoda is 35.54 meters tall with a 2.38-meters-tall base.
- Chinese Name: Dongxisi Ta (东西寺塔)
- Eastern Pagoda Height: 40.57 x meters tall
- Western Pagoda Height: 35.54 x meters tall
- Things to do there: Photography, Buddhism, Architecture
- Who visits: Photographers, Architects, Buddhism Believers
- Time required: 1 x hour
The square 13-layered brick Eastern Pagoda is hollow. There is a gate on the south side of the first floor. There are small arched holes on all sides from the second floor to the thirteenth floor. There is a niche with a stone statue of Buddha. Each of the four corners of the pagoda is decorated with one copper bird covered with gold leaf. Whenever the wind blows, the copper tube in the chicken mouth vibrates through the air in the abdominal cavity, creating the sound of “cluck”.
The 13-layered brick Western Pagoda is also hollow. The 2.38-meters-tall base is a 3-layered structure. The lowest layer has a side with a length of 12.5 meters. In the south side of the lowest is an arched door leading to the interior of the pagoda. There are small arched holes on all sides from the second floor to the thirteenth floor as well. A red sandstone statue of Avalokitesvara is worshiped in the arched hole. Each of the four corners of the pagoda is also decorated with one copper bird covered with gold leaf.
If you are planning to visit the pagodas for photography purposes, the best time to visit is in the evening.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
As the pagodas are close to the Golden Horse and Jade Rooster Archway, you could take a bus or rent a vehicle to the archway first. And then walk to pagodas.
- Rent a vehicle to the pagodas. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 3, 4, 62, 90, 98, 213, a1 and Bus k12 to the Stop of Jinmafang (金马坊站). Then, walk to the pagodas.
- Opening hours: 07:00 – 22:00
- As at 19th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the pagodas is 25 CNY per person. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- It is recommended that you appreciate the façade instead of exploring the interior.
- You could walk around the street which lies between the two pagodas.