East Bazaar - the largest international trade market in Northwest China
Last Update: 17th October 2020
With a long history of more than 2,000 years, East Bazaar (Dong Bazaar) was acclaimed as the largest market in Asia in ancient times. Covering an area of more than 16 hectares, East Bazaar is situated next to the East Gate of Kashgar. It offers the richest goods with the most cost-effective pricing, compared to other Bazaar in Xinjiang.
East Bazaar Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Dong Bazha (国际大巴扎)
- Area: 16.66 hectares
- Things to do there: Photography, Local Food, Hiking, Local Handicrafts
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Shopping Lovers, Foodies
- Time required: 2 – 3 x hours
What to expect at the East Bazaar
East Bazaar is filled with a variety of goods at home and abroad. The vendors are very kind. Some of them can only speak a little daily Mandarin. At the Bazaar, you will find beautiful and comfortable carpets, simple and elegant earthenware, a wide variety of embroidered hats with patterns on, exquisite Uighur musical instruments, gorgeous bright Atlas silk, finely made jewelry, shiny Russian bronze mirror, low-key Luxury Pakistani tapestries, Kyrgyz telescopes and Uyghur costumes.
In addition, the local food also plays an important role at the market. It will be a great feast for your mouth, eyes and your stomach. If interested, you can try lamb kebab, hand-pulled noodles with beef, steamed hand-picked rice with steak, steamed hand-picked rice with horse meat, baked samosa, hand-made yogurt, shredded cake, Xinjiang nuts cake, roasted naan, etc.
As is known, dried fruits such as raisins, thin-skinned walnuts, almonds, dried apricots, dried hami melon, dried matrimony vine fruit, dry figs and dried jujube are nutrient rich with good quality. If you could speak a little Mandarin, you could practice your bargaining skills at the market.
Best time to visit the East Bazaar
You could visit the Bazaar at any time during the opening hours.
The best months to visit are from April to September.
How to get to the East Bazaar
A few buses pass by the Bazaar. Therefore, there are only a few options.
- Rent a vehicle to the Bazaar. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 23 to the Stop of Liangya Shichang (两亚市场).
- Take Bus 17 to the Stop of Dongmen (东门).
Additional East Bazaar Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 10:00 – 20:00
- As at 17th October 2020, it is free to visit the Bazaar.
- If you would like to take photos of locals, please ask them whether it is OK with them.
- Please take care of your valuables.
- Please wear the sunscreen cream, sunglasses and the like as it is dry around the year in Kashgar.
- On Sundays, you can experience the most crowded while the most featured Bazaar.