Last Update: 14th October 2020
Formed by a major earthquake during the Song Dynasty (960 – 1279), Dushu Lake has an area of 9.91 square kilometers. The lake shoreline is 18.07 kilometers long. Dushu Lake Tunnel passes through the bottom, connecting the east with the west of the lake.
- Chinese Name: Dushuhu (独墅湖)
- Area: 9.91 square kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Hiking, Nature
- Who visits: Photographers, Nature Lovers
- Time required: 1 – 2 x hours
Total length of the bridges spanning over the lake is 3.43 kilometers while the tunnel is 3.46 kilometers long.
Dushu Lake is surrounded by high education colleges, high-end residence and other necessary facilities. You’ll fine a library, a gymnasium, and a cinema by the lake. Dongwu Temple is situated in the southwest of the lake.
In the east lie the well-known national colleges and research institutions, including Dushu Lake Campus of Suzhou University, Xi’an Jiaotong-liverpool University, Suzhou Research Institute of University of Science and Technology of China, Suzhou Research Institute of Xi’an Jiaotong University, Suzhou Research Institute of Nanjing University, Suzhou Research Institute of Southeast University, Suzhou Research Institute of Shandong University, etc.
Bailu Park with an area of 230,000 square meters features diverse landscape to enjoy. The viewpoint between the waters and the bank is a great spot to admire the panoramic views of the lake.
Dushuhu Wetland Park offers stunning sunrise and sunset to appreciate. In June, lotus in blossom with the sunset glows make for gorgeous views. If you are a little tire, you can take a rest in an European or Chinese pavilion. In addition, you’ll see a church in the area.
If you’d like to visit the lake for photography purposes, the best time to visit is at sunrise or sunset.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
A few buses pass by the lake. Thus, there are just a few options.
- Rent a vehicle to the lake. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 557, 558 or Bus 120 to the Stop of South Dushu Lake (独墅湖南站). Then walk to the lake.
- Take Bus 146, 156, 166, 176, or Bus 218 to the Stop of Dushuhu Tiyuguan (独墅湖体育馆站). Then walk to the lake..
- Opening hours: 24 hours
- As at 14th October 2020, tourists can visit the lake for free.