Last Update: 17th October 2020
Located at No. 2713, East Wenbo Road, Dunhuang Theater was transformed by the Gansu Provincial Acrobatic Troupe on the basis of the original Dunhuang Cinema. It is fitted with first-class sound and lighting facilities and water curtains. The theater can accommodate 600 persons.
- Chinese Name: Dunhuang Dajuyuan (敦煌大剧院)
- Area: 38,217 square meters
- Things to do there: Photography, Dunhuang History, Silk Road History
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Archaeologists
- Time required: 1.5 x hours
Goddess of Dunhuang (敦煌神女), See Dunhuang Again (又见敦煌), Flowers of the Silk Road (丝路花雨) and Dunhuang Celebration (敦煌盛典) all are operated and performed by Dunhuang Theater.
Goddess of Dunhuang was created on the basis of the Buddhist story at Mogao Caves in Dunhuang. The show is adapted from the story of the nine-color god deer at Mogao Caves, which tells that the deer saved the people from the devils. The show combines various elements of art such as song and dance, music, acrobatics and martial arts.
See Dunhuang Again is a large-scaled live show. During the first 1 hour, performers dance and sing among the audience. You will walk among the performers to enjoy the show. At the last 40 minutes, the audience can appreciate the show on the seat. The show presents how and why Mogao Caves went into the decline from prosperity and why the number of the frescoes and sculptures at Mogao Caves is so small.
Dunhuang Celebration is backed by Echoing-Sand Mountain. The audience sit on the 360°rotating stand to admire the show that they needn’t move while the episode changes with the rotating stand. It tells a love story between a princess and an ordinary male in the Tang Dynasty (618 – 907) to reflect the history and culture of Dunhuang at that time.
Flowers of the Silk Road shows the audience the prosperity of the economy on the Silk Road, the exquisite frescoes at Mogao Caves, and the amazing views at the desert in Northwest China.
For now, there is only 1 show every day. Different shows are on for different periods of time. The show always starts at 20:30.
There is no direct bus to the theater. Therefore, the only one option is to rent a vehicle.
- Opening hours for the show: starting at 20:30
- As at 17th October 2020, the the entrance pricing to different types of seating for the show is as follow: 588 CNY per person for VIP Seating, 368 CNY per person for the seating at Section A, 328 CNY per person for the seating at Section B, 298 CNY per person for the seating at Section C and 238 CNY per person for the seating at Section D. Children under 1.2 meters tall (1.2 meters tall not included) are free of charge. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com).
- Please get to the theater 30 minutes at least prior to the starting time for security check.
- Please check out what show is on during your visit in Dunhuang beforehand.