Last Update: 17th October 2020
Located East Yangguan Road, Dunhuang Night Market is also known as Shazho Night Market. The main entrance of Dunhuang Night Market is in a style in the Han (202 BC – 220 AD) and Tang (618 -907) Dynasties. The red door is matched with blue and green glazed tiles together with red, blue and green colored paintings. The market features the unique and authentic Dunhuang handcrafts and local cuisine such as luminous wine glasses, Huyang wooden handicrafts, donkey meat fried with noodles, etc.
- Chinese Name: Dunhuang Yeshi (敦煌夜市)
- Location: East Yangguan Road, Dunhuang (敦煌阳关东路)
- Things to do there: Photography, Food, Dunhuang Specialties and Handicrafts
- Who visits: Photographers, Foodies, Shopping Lovers
- Time required: 1 – 3 x hours
The wooden stalls at Dunhuan Night Market all are made in the Han and Tang style. The Han-and-Tang style lanterns are hung at the corners of the stalls. At the market, you will be amazed at various types of delicious local food, including, donkey meat fried with noodles (驴肉黄面), Bogeda (拨疙瘩, a type of noodles), Chaocuoyu (炒搓鱼, a type of noodles), Dunhuang Barbecue, pancakes braised in Huyang wood and the like. Some tourists who have visited the market thought that the pricing for the local food there was much higher.
Dunhuang Night Market is a paradise for photographers and foodies. At the market, you will find the one-of-a-kind Dunhuang specialties and handicrafts, the world-famous luminous wine glasses, the wild fruit of Chinese wolfberry, the various types of handicrafts made in Huyang wood, five colors of sands in the glass bottles (handicraftsmen use the sands to create incredible figures in the bottle), stones painted with Dunhuang frescoes, wooden boards carved with the frescoes and landscapes in Dunhuang and other Dunhuang unique handicrafts only found in Dunhuang. You could practice your bargaining skills when purchasing the handicrafts.
The best time to visit Dunhuang Night Market is in the evening except at weekends and during the holidays.
The best months to visit are from May to October.
There are a few buses passing by the market. Therefore, you have a few options.
- Rent a vehicle to the market.
- Take Bus 2 and Bus 4 to the Stop of Dunhuang Dajiudian (敦煌大酒店站). Then, walk to the market.
- Opening hours: 24 hours.
- Admission fee: free
- Some vendors at the market always start the business in the afternoon and finish it at 03:00am.
- Please take care of your valuables at the market.
- The pricing for the cuisine at the market is much higher than other places in Dunhuang.