Dujiangyan Irrigation System - oldest remaining irrigation system still in use worldwide
Last Update: 20th November 2019
What is the Dujiangyan Irrigation System?
Located in the west of Dujiangyan City, Dujiangyan Irrigation System is not only a world-famous ancient Chinese irrigation project, but also a famous scenic area. It was originally built in from about 256 BC to 251 BC under the leading of Li Bing (302 - 235 BC).
Dujiangyan Irrigation System Fast Facts
Interested in visiting the Dujiangyan Irrigation System on a Chengdu Tour?
Wendy Wei Tours offers a variety of different packaged tours as well as custom tours including the Dujiangyan Irrigation System, among other attractions and destinations. To find out more, please visit our Tours page or Contact Us directly to find out more.
What to expect at the Dujiangyan Irrigation System
With a history of more than 2,500 years, Dujiangyan Irrigation System has been playing an important role in flood control and irrigation in Chengdu Area. Covering an area of 220 hectares, the irrigation system serves more than 30 counties and cities in this area. It is made up of the fish mouth for dividing water, Feisha Yan and the bottleneck. The three major parts of the system scientifically solves the problems of automatic diversion of rivers, automatic sand discharge, and control of influent flow, thus eliminating flooding. Upon visiting the irrigation system, you will be shocked at the wisdom of the ancient Chinese people more than 2,500 years old. The sound of its water will amaze visitors.
Visitors can enjoy the natural beauty in the area, such as forests and waterfalls. In addition, visitors can explore the old buildings in the area, including Fulong Taoist Temple, Two Kings Temple, Anlan Rope Bridge, Yulei Pass, Lidun Park, and Lingyan Temple hidden in the greens.
Best time to visit the Dujiangyan Irrigation System
The best months to visit Dujiangyan Irrigation System is from March to May and from September to November as these months are not so cold or so hot.
How to get to the Dujiangyan Irrigation System
There are many buses passing by Dujiangyan Irrigation System from Dujiangyan City. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the bridge. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a direct bus from Chadianzi Bus Station (茶店子客运站) in Chengdu to Dujiangyan City. The first bus runs at 07:30 and the last one runs at 19:00. Take a bus to Dujiangyan Irrigation System.
- Take a direct bus from Chengbei Bus Station (城北客运站) in Chengdu to Dujiangyan City. The first bus runs at 07:00 and the last one runs at 18:00. Take a bus to Dujiangyan Irrigation System.
- Take a train from Chengdu North Train Station or Chongqing North Train Station to Dujiangyan Train Station. Take a bus to Dujiangyan Irrigation System.
Additional Dujiangyan Irrigation System Travel Advice
- Opening hours: December 1 - March 1: 08:00 - 17:30; March 2 - November 30: 08:00 - 18:00
- As at 20th November 2019, entrance pricing for the irrigation system is 90 CNY per person; Children under 1.1 m (1.1 m not included) and the elder above 70 years old (70 years old included) are free of charge; Children between 1.1m (1.1m included) and 1.4 (1.4m not included) and the elder between 60 years old (60 years old included) and 69 years old (69 years old included) are charged 45 CNY per person.
- Please don’t believe someone who can offer cheaper transfer to the irrigation system.
- Please get the ticket at the official ticket office.
- The area offers the shuttle bus.