Last Update: 18th October 2020
Dongchuan Red Land is located around 200 kilometers north of Kunming. The main attractions there have an elevation between 1,800 and 2,600 meters. The red soil is formed under the condition of the high temperature and much rain in Dongchuan. Compared to the red soil in other areas, the red soil in Dongchuan contains more iron and aluminum and less organic matter. It has strong acidity. The blue sky, white clouds and the varied light form a spectacular view on the red land.
- Chinese Name: Dongchuan Hongtudi (东川红土地)
- Location: Xintian Towship (新田乡)
- Things to do there: Photography, Hiking, Geology
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Geologists
- Time required: at least 1 x day
Visitors are always amazed at the stunning views at Dongchuan Red Land. Different plots of land feature different colors, forming a natural palette. With a large area, Dongchuan Red Land offers tens of great viewpoints for appreciating the sunset and the sunrise which are situated a long distance from one another.
Dongchuan Red Land is a paradise for photographers and adventure enthusiasts. The most beautiful scenery is concentrated at the following viewpoints – Jinxiu Garden, Luoxiagou, Seven Color Slope, Yuepuao, Millennium Dragon Tree, Shuipingzi, Da Makan, Screw Bay, Waliang Fangzi, etc.
The best months for photographing at Dongchuan Red Land are from May to June and from September to December. It presents different views at different seasons. In summer, potatoes trees are in bloom and wheat turns golden. In autumn, parts of red land are ploughed for planting crops, while green highland barley and wheat have grown in other parts of red land. In addition, the local white rape flowers are also in full bloom. The land will become the most amazing two days after rain. March offers the great snow scenery for photographing as well.
If you are planning to visit the red land for photography purposes, the best time is during the sunrise and the sunset.
The best months to visit are from May to June and from September to December.
There is no direct bus from Kunming to Dongchuan Red Land. Therefore, the only option is to rent a vehicle.
- Opening hours: 24 x hours
- As at 18th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the red land is free of charge. The local villagers will charge you up to 50 CNY per person at their land for photography purposes.
- The temperature difference is big in Dongchuan Red Land during the sunrise and the sunset, please remember to take enough warm clothes.
- Please wear the sunscreen cream as the sunshine is strong at the plateau.
- For those who are crazy about photographing, it is recommended that they take pictures at Da Makan for the sunrise and at Luoxiagou for the sunset.