Dongba Palace - special palace for learning about Dongba culture
Last Update: 19th October 2020
Located in Dongda Street, Old Town of Lijiang, Dongba Palace offers a great chance to enjoy Dongba culture, such as Dongba music and dancing. Dongba is a Naxi word. It means a wise man. The doorway is decorated with the “Five Blessings Crown” of Dongba, and the wooden paintings of Dongba are hung on both sides of the gate.
Dongba Palace Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Dongba Gong (东巴宫)
- Location: Old Town of Lijiang
- Things to do there: Photography, Architecture, Dongba Culture
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Chinese Culture Lovers
- Time required: 1 – 2 x hours
What to expect at Dongba Palace
Dongba Palace is a small but comprehensive national culture and art museum. At the palace, you could explore the amazing Dongba scriptures, hieroglyphic, paintings, frescoes, reliefs, supplies for worshiping, etc. to know some about Dongba culture.
If lucky enough, you will appreciate great Dongba shows performed by local elder Naxi people and local folk artists with unique skills, enjoy singing and dancing by local folk dancers, singers and players.
Best time to visit Dongba Palace
The best time to visit Dongba Palace is in the morning.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
How to get to Dongba Palace
As Dongba Palace is located in the Old Town of Lijiang where any vehicle is forbidden to run, you could reach the town first and then walk to the palace. A few buses pass by the Old Town of Lijiang. Therefore, there are only a few options.
- Rent a vehicle from the City of Lijiang to the Old Town of Lijiang. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 12, 3 and Bus 21 to the Stop of Nanmen Street (南门街). Then, walk to the old town.
- Take Bus 2 and Bus 13 to the Stop of Old Town CarPark (古城停车场). Then, walk to the old town.
Additional Dongba Palace Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 09:00 – 17:00
- As at 19th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the palace is free of charge.
- Please do not touch paintings and any other cultural relics at the palace.