Dayan Naxi Ancient Music Association - traditional music in Yunnan Province
Last Update: 19th October 2020
Dayan Naxi Ancient Music Association is composed of around 20 elders most of whom are more than 60 years old. They play the oldest music – Naxi ancient music in Yunnan. Naxi ancient music features 3 characters – the old music, the old musical instruments and the old players.
Dayan Naxi Ancient Music Association Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Dayan Naxi Guyuehui (大研纳西古乐会)
- Address: No. 86, Mishi Lane, Xinhua Street, the Old Town of Lijiang (丽江古城新华街密士巷86号)
- Things to do there: Photography, Naxi Ancient Music
- Who visits: Photographers, Cultural Lovers of Chinese Ethnic Minorities
- Time required: 1.5 x hours
Interested in visiting Dayan Naxi Ancient Music Association on a Yunnan Tour?
What to expect at the Dayan Naxi Ancient Music Association
Naxi ancient music is composed of Baisha Xiyue, Dongjing music, and Huangjing music (Huangjing music has failed to be handed down). Taoist ritual music, Confucian ceremonial music, even poems in the Tang (618 – 907) and Song (960 – 1279) dynasties are emerged into Naxi ancient music. The musical instruments played by the artists are more than 100 years old. Several of the instruments are exclusive to Naxi people, such as Sugudu (苏古笃, a kind of stringed instrument), wooden clappers (tishou), small cymbals (xiaocha), etc.
Originally, Baisha Xiyue was a type of funeral music. But nowadays, you will hear it at the ceremony of festivals, religious festivals and so on in Naxi area. Dongjing music is a fusion of Taoism and Naxi folk music.
Usually, the elder artists in purple robes professionally play the old musical instruments in earnest. Above the stage are hung the pictures of the deceased players who were members in the association. About three quarters of the audience are foreigners. The artists are dedicated. No matter how many persons are in the theater, they will play Naxi ancient music.
Best time to visit the Dayan Naxi Ancient Music Association
The opening hours for the show are from 20:00 to 21:30.
How to get to the Dayan Naxi Ancient Music Association
You could take Bus 20 or Bus 1 to the Stop of Guchengkou (古城口站) from the City of Lijiang. Then walk to the association. Or you could rent a vehicle to the entrance to Old Town of Lijiang. Then walk to the association.
Additional Dayan Naxi Ancient Music Association Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 20:00 – 21:30
- As at 19th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the association is 69 CNY per person; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) are free of charge. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please keep quiet at the theater.
Interested in visiting the Dayan Naxi Ancient Music Association on a Tour?