Dabaoji Palace - featuring the largest frescoes in Yunnan Province
Last Update: 19th October 2020
Situated in Baisha Street, approximately 8 kilometers north of Lijiang, Dabaoji Palace has the largest frescoes in Lijiang Region. The palace was originally built in 1582 by Tusi of Mu Family. Square in shape, it has a double-eaves roof. The whole building offers finely carved painted doors and windows to explpore.
Dabaoji Palace Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Dabaoji Gong (大宝积宫)
- Location: Baisha Old Town, Lijiang (丽江白沙古镇)
- Things to do there: Photography, Architecture, Frescoes
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Chinese Culture Lovers
- Time required: 1 – 2 x hours
Interested in visiting the Dabaoji Palace on a Yunnan Tour?
What to expect at the Dabaoji Palace
There are 12 frescoes with a total area of 61.48 square meters in Dabaoji Palace. The frescoes are better preserved ones in Lijiang. The largest one among the frescoes is called Buddha Preaches the Buddhist Scriptures. It is 3.67 meters tall and 4.98 meters wide. The Buddha is seated in the middle. Behind are the 18 arhats. Four Heavenly Kings are on the left and the right. You will find more than 100 small and big images in the one fresco. Buddhism, Taoism and Lamaism are combined in the one image in the frescoes. The traditional painting techniques of Han, Tibetan, Naxi and Bai people are applied into these frescoes as well.
In addition, you could explore Liuli Temple in the same scenic area. The temple was originally built in 1417 by Tusi of Mu Family as well. You will find 16 frescoes in the temple. The frescoes were created from 1417 to the late Qing Dynasty (1644 – 1912). If interested, you could also visit the cultural exhibition of Tusi of Mu Family in Wenchang Palace. The scenic area is home to several old trees with a long history of hundreds of years.
Best time to visit the Dabaoji Palace
The best time to visit Dabaoji Palace is in the morning.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
How to get to the Dabaoji Palace
You could take Bus 6 to the Stop of Baishaxiang People’s Goverment (白沙乡人民政府). Then walk to the palace. Or rent a vehicle from Lijian
Additional Dabaoji Palace Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 07:00 – 17:30.
- As the palace is located in the area of the Old Town of Lijiang, it is required to present the entrance ticket for the Old Town of Lijiang if one wants to explore it.
- As at 19th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the murals in Dabaiji Palace is 30 CNY per person. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- Please do not touch the frescoes.
- Please do not use flashlight when taking pictures