City Wall of Nanjing - the largest, longest and most original city wall in the world
Last Update: 15th October 2020
With a length of 25.1 x kilometers, City Wall of Nanjing was originally built in 1366 and completed in 1393. It is a model of the combination of Chinese system of feudal ethics and rites and nature, and an outstanding representative of the construction of ancient capitals.
City Wall of Nanjing Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Nanjing Mingchengqiang (南京明城墙)
- Length: 25.1 x kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, History and Culture
- Who visits: Photographers, History and Culture Lovers
- Time required: 1 – 2 x hours
What to expect at City Wall of Nanjing
Around 350 million bricks were used in the construction of City Wall of Nanjing. Every brick is carved with the name and nationality of the brick-makers. Some of the characters disappeared but some are also clear.
City Wall of Nanjing has 13 gates each of which is fitted with a large watchtower and several wooden gates and orgues. Zhongshan Gate is situated in the eastern section.
The southern section has Gate of China, Tongji and Guanghua Gates, the western section is fitted with Shuixi, Shicheng, Qingliang, Dinghuai and Xingzhong Gates while the northern section has Taiping, Shenche, Jinchuan and Zhongfu Gates. Rain always runs out of the cracks in the city wall section east of Taiping Gate when it rains heavily. More than 10 old cannons, bows and crossbows are well-preserved on the city wall.
Gongji Gate is the larges one on the city wall. It has 3 barbicans and two bridleways to the city wall. Gate of China is the best preserved and most complicated fortress across the world and the largest in China. Holes for soldiers to take a rest and store the military supplies are also one of the highlights of the wall. Every hole can accommodate up to 100 soldiers.
Stroll on the city wall and you’ll see the bird’s eye views of the Outer Qinhuai River, and Xuanwu District.
Best time to visit City Wall of Nanjing
If you’d like to visit the wall for photography purposes, the best time to visit is at sunset.
The best months to visit are from March to October.
How to get to the City Wall of Nanjing
You can take Bus 16 to the Stop of Zhonghuamen Chengbao (中华门城堡站) and walk to the city wall or just rent a vehicle to the city wall.
Additional City Wall of Nanjing Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 08:30 – 17:00
- As at 15th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the wall is 30 CNY per person; the elder between 60 years old (60 years old included) and 70 years old (70 years old not included) are charged 15 CNY per person; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) and the elder above 70 years old (70 years old included) are free of charge. For the latest pricing, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 3. Please wear comfortable hiking shoes.