Facts about Chengdu
Chengdu is a large city located to the West of the Sichuan Basin in Sichuan Province, Western China.
As the birthplace of the civilization of the Ancient Shu Kingdom (1045 BC – 360 BC), it is acclaimed as one of the national historical and cultural cities in China. Let’s take a quick look at some interesting facts about Chengdu as outlined below.
Flights to Chengdu
- Chengdu is a megalopolis in West China.
- Chengdu is the station of the headquarters of the Western Theater Command.
- The name of Chengdu remains unchanged for more than 2,500 years.
- Chengdu is one of the 10 old capitals in ancient China.
- Chengdu is one of the most developed industrial and commercial cities in the Tang Dynasty (618 – 907).
- Chengdu is home to giant pandas.
- Jinsha Archaeological Site in Chengdu is the old capital of the Ancient Shu Kingdom.
- As at 22nd November 2019, 285 of the Fortune Global 500 companies have set up offices in Chengdu.
- Originally built between 256 BC and 251 BC, Dujiangyan Irrigation System – the oldest of its kind but still in use lies in Chengdu.
- In the Three Kingdoms (220 – 280), Chengdu was the old capital of Shu Han Kingdom (221 – 263).
- Originally built in 223, Wuhouci Temple in Chengdu is the only one of its kind where the king and officials of Shu Han Kingdom are buried together in one place. It is the largest site museum of the Three Kingdoms which has the most influence in China.
- In the Norther Song Dynasty (960 – 1127), the first note in the world was created in Chengdu.
- As at 22nd November 2019, Chengdu have 27 international sister cities, including Montpellier, Ljubljana, Atlanta, Hamburg, Honolulu, Maastricht, Sheffield, Perth, Chiang Mai, etc.
- The West Pearl Tower in Chengdu is the highest tower in West China. It is 339 meters tall.
- Chengdu East Train Station and Chengdu Train Station are the principal stations.
- Chengdu Tianfu International Airport is under construction. Once its being completed in 2021, Chengdu will be the third city in Mainland China which have 2 international airports.
- Yongling Tomb Museum in Chengdu is the only known one in China that is built on the ground and the first officially excavated mausoleum of the emperor.
- Qingcheng Mountain with Dujiangyan Irrigation System is a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site.
- Sichuan figured satin in Chengdu has a long history of more than 2,000 years.
- In December 2017 and January 2019, Chengdu was ranked in the list of The 200 strong city of the world with charismas.
- Chengdu was declared as a city of gastronomy by the UNESCO in 2010.
Reed Flute Cave