Caohai Lake – a great place for bird watching in winter
Last Update: 5th October 2020
What is Caohai Lake?
As the largest plateau natural freshwater lake in Guizhou, Caohai Lake is located around 310 kilometers north of Guiyang. It is a complete and typical plateau wetland ecosystem as well as an important wintering place and a transfer station of migration for 228 species of birds such as black-necked cranes, grey cranes, bar-headed gooses, etc .
Caohai Lake Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Caohai (草海)
- Area: 46.5 square kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Hiking, Adventure, Nature, Bird Watching
- Who visits: Photographers, Nature Lovers, Adventure Enthusiasts
- Time required: 2 – 3 x hours
What to expect at Caohai Lake
It’s a must-see for any bird watching enthusiast to visit and photograph these beautiful birds in their natural living habitat. Caohai Lake was given the status of wildlife and natural preserve in 1992 by the Chinese government hence it has been protected and untouched since then. The lake also offers a soothing view of the mountain belts that surrounds it, offering a beautiful scenic perfection for every lens wanting to capture it.
Best time to visit Caohai Lake
If you’d like to visit Caohai Lake for photography purposes, the best time is at sunrise or sunset.
The best months for bird watching are from December to March.
The best months to visit are from March to October.
How to get to Caohai Lake
Unfortunately, there is no direct bus to the lake from Guiyang or Weining. The only option is to rent a vehicle.
Additional Caohai Lake Advice
- Opening hours: 24 hours
- As at 5th October 2020, tourists can just be able to enjoy the bird’s eye of the lake at the viewpoint as it is surrounded and boat cruise is forbidden on the lake to protect the ecosystem there.
- If you’d love to enjoy bird watching, please remember to wear warm clothes.