Bund International Architecture Exhibition - capitalism in Old Shanghai
Last Update: 7th October 2020
The Bund International Architecture Exhibition is located on the west bank of the Pujiang River. It is bounded by the Waibaidu Bridge in the north and Jinling East Road in the south. 52 buildings with different styles stand in the 1800-meters-long street. The buildings are amazing spots at the Bund. Through them, you can experience the 100-year history of the Bund.
Bund International Architecture Exhibition Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Shanghai Waitan Wanguo Jianzhu Bolanqun (上海外滩万国建筑博览群)
- Number of Buildings on the Bund: 52
- Things to do there: Photography, Architecture, Walking
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Architecture Learners
- Time required: 2 – 3 x Hours
Interested in visiting the Bund International Architecture Exhibition during a Shanghai Tour?
What to expect at the Bund International Architecture Exhibition
The Bund, after being turned into a commercial port in Shanghai in the 1940s, became the political, financial, commercial, and cultural center of Western powers in Shanghai. Foreign banks, business, and chambers of commerce were set up here.
Stroll along Zhongshan Road, and you will see the famous Customs House, the South and North Building of Peace Hotel, the original HSBC Bank Building, the Asia Building, the Waldorf Astoria Hotel, the Union Building and many other historical buildings. You can admire the Gothic pinnacle, baroque colonnades, Spanish-style balconies, and ancient Greek coves which have a long history.
Most of the buildings have been converted into office buildings such as the Headquarters of China Pacific Insurance Company, Thailand Consulate General in Shanghai, China Merchants Group (Shanghai Headquarters), Headquarters of Pudong Development Bank, Shanghai Customs, Shanghai Federation of Trade Unions, and Shanghai Foreign Exchange Trading Center. These buildings are not open to the public. Some of the buildings have been transformed into top shopping malls, such as the famous building at No. 18 at the Bund, which was the headquarters of the former British Standard Chartered Bank in China.
In addition, you can refresh yourself at the Michelin-Star Restaurant or one of the outdoor bars.
Best time to visit the Bund International Architecture Exhibition
If you are planning to visit the Bund International Architecture Exhibition for photography purposes, the best time to visit is in the evening.
The best months to visit are from April to June and from September to October.
How to get to the Bund International Architecture Exhibition
There are several buses passing by the Bund. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to the Bund. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 33, 37, 55, 65, 71, 135, 145, 305, 307, 317, 320, 330, 576 and Bus 934 to the Bund.
- Take Sightseeing Bus Line 1, Line 3 and Line 5 to the Bund.
Additional Bund International Architecture Exhibition Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 24 hours (the Bund); 08:00 – 22:30 (Monday – Thursday for the Sightseeing Tunnel) and 08:00 – 23:00 (Saturdays and Sundays for the Sightseeing Tunnel)
- Admission fee: free
- The building at No. 1 at the Bund, Peach Hotel, Bank of China Building, Shanghai Pudong Development Bank Building, Shanghai Archives (the Bund), Shanghai Telecom Museum and The Bund Historical Museum are open to the public.
- The landscape light at the Bund is opened from 19:00 to 23:00 in summer and from 18:00 to 22:00 in winter.
Interested in visiting the Bund International Architecture Exhibition on a Tour?