Black Pagoda Xishuangbanna – black pagoda located in Xishuangbanna
Last Update: 20th October 2020
Originally built in 784, the Black Pagoda Xishuangbanna was rebuilt in 1202. Originally, inlaid with stained glass, the pagoda body was black, from which the name was. Standing in Jinglong Vilage, Menglong Town, the pagoda has witnessed the history of the village for more than 800 years.
Black Pagoda Xishuangbanna Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Xishuangbanna Heita (西双版纳黑塔)
- Pagoda Height: approx.15 x meters
- Things to do there: Photography, Buddhism
- Who visits: Photographers, Buddhist Disciples
- Time required: 30 minutes – 1 x hour
What to expect at the Black Pagoda Xishuangbanna
Black Pagoda Xishuangbanna is composed of the main pagoda in the center and four small pagodas in four directions. The main pagoda consists of the base, the body and the spire. The body presents a shape of multi-storey gourd. The base is decorated with exquisite patterns. The small pagodas are supported by lotus columns in the shape of a tortoise, a snake, a peacock and a crab. The body is decorated with a round silver sheet carved with flower designs. In the four directions, 8 clay sculptures of golden dragons form a wall, which shows the sense of holiness. The top of the spire is decorated with gems. Every day, many locals do worship to the pagoda.
In the woods close to the pagoda, locals always sell local handicrafts and local Dai costumes. There is a Buddhist temple near the pagoda as well. If interested, you could explore it.
Best time to visit the Black Pagoda Xishuangbanna
You could visit Bulang Mountains at any time during the daytime as it is cool.
The best months to visit are from March to November.
How to get to the Black Pagoda Xishuangbanna
Unfortunately, there is no direct bus from Jinghong to Black Pagoda Xishuangbanna. The only option is to rent a vehicle to the pagoda.
Additional Black Pagoda Xishuangbanna Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 24 hours.
- As at 20th October 2020, visitors can explore the pagoda for free.
- Please wear the sunscreen scream and sunglasses.
- Please take enough drinking water with you.
- It is suggested to take an umbrella or raincoat with you as it could be rainy and sunny in one day in Xishuangbanna.
Interested in visiting the Black Pagoda Xishuangbanna on a Tour?