Last Update: 19th October 2020
Originally built in 1737, Black Dragon Pool is located at the foot of Xiangshan Mountain in the north of Lijiang. The pool lies in the Old Town of Lijiang. The water of the pool flows out from the cracks of the stones, forming the surface of 40,000 square meters. The pool is surrounded by green mountains. Visitors can also explore the old buildings in the surrounding area.
- Chinese Name: Heilongtan (黑龙潭)
- Area: 40,000 square meters
- Things to do there: Photography, Nature, Architecture
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts
- Time required: 2 – 3 x hours
The Black Dragon Pool is a combination of nature, old buildings and entertainment activities. At the Black Dragon Pool Park in Lijiang, Dragon God Temple originally built in 1737, the 4-meters-tall Deyue Building, the Suocui Bridge originally built in 1887, the Yuhuang Pavilion, Fuguo Temple, Jietuolin Gatehouse, Wufeng Building in the Ming Dynasty (1368 – 1644) which were removed into the park. You will also find Guangbi Building – the former government office of the magistrate of a prefecture in the Ming Dyansty, Yiwen Pavillion and Wenming Archway in the Qing Dynasty. Most of the buildings are decorated with exquisite sculptures and paintings.
In different seasons, you could enjoy various activities at the park, such as climbing the mountain, exploring the cave, picking plants, horseback riding, hunting, fishing, swimming, boating, rafting, gliding, ziplining, skiing, skating, playing ice hockey, playing football in the snow, etc. Or you could just walk around the park to appreciate the natural beauty.
If you are planning to visit the Black Dragon Pool for photography purposes, the best time to visit is during the sunrise and the sunset.
The best months to visit are from April to October.
A few buses pass by the pool. Therefore, there are only a few options.
- Rent a vehicle to the pool. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 28 and Bus 3 to the Stop of Heilongtan (黑龙潭站). Then, walk to the pool.
- Take Bus 20 Outer Ring (20路外环) to the Stop of the Municipal Kindergarten (市幼儿园). Then, walk to the pool.
- Opening hours: 07:00 – 19:00
- As the Black Dragon Pool is situated in the Old Town of Lijiang, you could visit it with the ticket for the old town.
- As at 19th October 2020, the entrance ticket for the Old Town of Lijiang is 50 CNY per person; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) and the elder above 70 years old (70 years old included) are free of charge. The ticket is valid in 1 month. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- If you are interested to take pictures of Jade Dragon Snow Mountain at the park, the best time is in the early morning and the end afternoon.
- Please take care of yourself in case that you drop into the pool.