Binggou Danxia Park - Danxia landscape mixed with colorful hills
Last Update: 17th October 2020
Located 50 kilometers east of Zhangye, Zhangye Binggou Danxia Park is mainly situated in Kangle Township and Baiyin Township, Sunan County. With an altitude of 1500-2550 meters, the park is an ancient geological relic. It originated from the horizontal red strata of the Jurassic to Tertiary period and is a red rock system developed during the Himalayan orogeny.
Binggou Danxia Park Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Zhangye Binggou Danxia Gongyuan (张掖冰沟丹霞公园)
- Area: more than 300 square kilometers
- Things to do there: Photography, Hiking, Geology
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Geologists
- Time required: 2 – 3 x hours
What to expect at the Binggou Danxia Park
Zhangye Binggou Danxia Park is a natural scenic spot dominated by the red palace-type Danxia landform. Developed later than Qicai Danxia Park, Binggou Danxia Park features distinctive shapes of the Danxia landform with various styles. Compared to Qicai Danxia Park, the park is quieter with fewer visitors.
With a huge area, the part developed in the park is about 10 kilometers long. To admire the stunning landscape, you have to take the shuttle bus in the park. Private vehicles are not allowed to drive in the area. The shuttle bus always stops at Xiaoxitian (小西天) and Daxitian (大西天) both of which offer a large viewpoint to enjoy the breathtaking views. Visitors need to walk along the trail to the viewpoints on the mountain. You don’t need to take the same shuttle bus to explore the park. With the entrance ticket, you are allowed to take any one of the shuttle buses in the park.
At the viewpoint at Xiaoxitian, you will see several major Danxia landscapes, such as the Camel Welcomes Guests, the Camel of Loulan Merchant, the Root of the Earth, the General Guides and the Maids Worships Buddha, all of which are named after the shapes. After enjoying the views, you need to return to the original stop for the shuttle bus to Daxitian which is the highlight area in the park. At the viewpoint at Daxitian, you could appreciate larger Danxia landform, including the Palace of Bliss, the Posuo Palace, the Palace of the Colored Glaze, the Warrior Attendants of the Buddha, the Affectionate Golden Camel with etc.
Best time to visit the Binggou Danxia Park
If you are planning to visit Zhangye Binggou Danxi Park for photography purposes, the best time to visit is during the sunset.
The best months to visit are from May to October.
How to get to the Binggou Danxia Park
There is no direct bus from Dunhuang to Yumen Pass. Therefore, the only one option is to rent a vehicle.
Additional Binggou Danxia Park Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 06:00 – 22:00 (May 1- October 10); 07:00 – 19:00 (October 11 – April 30)
- As at 17th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the park (including entrance ticket and the shuttle bus) is 60 CNY per person; children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall included) are free of charge. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- Please take enough food with drinking water with you.
- Please check out the weather forecast in case that Dunhuang is attacked by sand storms when you are visiting the park.
- Please wear the sunscreen cream, sunglasses and the like to stop the strong sunlight shining your body directly in the dry weather.