Bezeklik Caves - the caves with the most abundant frescoes in Turpan
The Bezeklik Caves is located on the cliff on the west bank of the Wood Valley, 45 km east of Turpan. There are 83 caves 57 ones of which exist for now. Among the 57 caves, 40 caves offers frescoes with a total area of 1,200 square meters. Among the 40 caves, just 9 caves are open to the public.
Bezeklik Caves Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: Bozi Kelike Qianfodong (柏孜克里克千佛洞)
- Area: 1,200 square meters
- Things to do there: Photography, Buddhism, Archaeology
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Buddhism Believers, Archaeologists
- Time required: 1 – 2 hours
Cave 17 and Cave 18 were dug in the end of Southern and Northern Dynasty. Cave 16 was dug in the mid-Tang Dynasty. The frescoes at Cave 20 are the figures of King and Queen of the Uighur Gaochang Kingdom. Frescoes at Cave 38 reflect the life of Manicheans in ancient times. Cave 82 and Cave 83 were made to memorize the eminent monks of the Buddhist temples between the 10th Century and the 11th Century when the Uighur Gaochang Kingdom was in prosperity and strength.
Four Heavenly Kings, various Buddha, various Bodhisattva and providers were painted on the walls of the caves. Unfortunately, at the early of this century, 90% of the frescoes were cut out from the walls by 4 foreign groups of expedition. They are well preserved at Museum of Indian Art in Berlin, Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg, the Tokyo National Museum, the British Museum, the India National Museum, and the National Museum of Korea.
Best time to visit the Bezeklik Caves
If you are planning to visit Bezeklik Caves for photography purposes, the best time to visit is during the sunset.
The best months to visit are from April to July and from September to October.
How to get to the Bezeklik Caves
There is no direct bus to Bezeklik Caves from Turpan. The only option is to rent a vehicle to the caves.
Additional Bezeklik Caves Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 09:30 – 20:30 (April 21 – October 20); 10:00 – 18:30 (October 21 – April 20)
- As at 17th October 2020, the entrance pricing to the caves is 40 CNY per person.
- If you are interested to visit other attractions, such as Flaming Mountains, Ancient City of Jiaohe and the like, you could also get the combo tickets.
- The combo ticket for Ancient City of Gaochang, Ancient City of Jiaohe, Bezeklik Caves, Astana Tombs, Duke Office, Emin Minaret and karez system is 325 CNY per person.
- The combo ticket is valid in 48 hours (e.g. If you buy the ticket at 10:00am on Wednesday 20th December 2018, the ticket is valid by 10:00am on Friday 22th December 2018).
- Children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall not included) are free of charge.
- For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- Please take enough food with drinking water with you.
- Please wear the sunscreen cream, sunglasses and the like to stop the strong sunlight shining your body directly in the dry weather.
- Please do not touch the frescoes at the caves.
- It is not allowed to take photos at the caves.
- The caves offer Chinese interpretation service for extra charge of 100 NCY in total one time for a group of under 10 persons.