Ben Thanh Market – the largest market in Ho Chi Minh City
Last Update: 25th October 2020
With an area of 11,000 square meters, Ben Thanh Market is the largest one in Ho Chi Minh City and largest indoor market in Vietnam. It is a perfect place to explore local life and culture.
Ben Thanh Market Fast Facts
- Name: Ben Thanh Market
- Area: 11,000 square meters
- Things to do there: Photography, Adventure, Culture
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Culture Lovers
- Time required: 1 – 2 x hours
Ben Thanh Market offers diverse goods to explore. Locals always like to buy items there. If you visit the market in the morning, you can try the authentic rice noodles together with locals at a stall. Vietnam is rich in fruits. You’ll find a variety of tropical fruits there such as custard apples, Garcinia mangostana, jackfruit, longan, rambutan, and some unknown fruits you may even know them.
There are tens of species of seafood in the market as well. Most of them are fresh and alive. If you stay overnight at a hotel fitted with a kitchen, you can buy some to entertain yourself. Of course, you can see many meat stalls in the market. Various vegetables in season there are fresh as well.
If you have strong interests in costumes, it is suggested that you can walk around the clothes stalls in the market. Colorful cloth attracts eyes of arts and shopping lovers. The cloth is good materials to customize Ao Dai based on someone’s preferences.
Ho Chi Minh City is also a well-known flowers producer. Therefore, the market is dotted with more than 10 flower shops. Beautiful flowers make us happy and refreshing. If you’d like to, you can get some for yourself or your friends and families.
Ben Thanh Market also has Vietnamese handicrafts, coffee, slippers and other specialties to take back home. If you want to purchase items there, it is strongly recommended that you bargain with vendors as the pricing is always very high. You’re suggested that you get the item at a price which is at least 60 % discount off the original one.
The best time to visit Ben Thanh Market is in the morning.
The best months to visit are from March to November.
How to get to the Ben Thanh Market
A few buses pass by the market. Thus, there are just a few options.
- Rent a vehicle to the market. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 54, 39, 102 or Bus 152 to the Stop of Ben Thanh Market.
- Opening hours: 05:30 – 17:30
- As at 25th October 2020, tourists can visit the market for free.
Please take care of your belongings.
- If you don’t want to buy the item, it is not recommended that you touch it. Otherwise, the vendor will make you buy it.