Last Update: 8th October 2020
What is the Beijing Zoo ?
Founded in 1906, Beijing Zoo is the earliest zoo open to the public in China and it offers the largest number of types of animals. 500 rare types of animals are raised in the zoo, and visitors can see more than 500 species of marine life there.
- Chinese Name: Beijing Dongwuyuan (北京动物园)
- Area: 90 x Hectares
- Things to do there: Photography, Seeing Animals
- Who visits: Photographers, Families, Children etc.
- Time required: 4 – 6 x hours
Located at Xizhimenwai Street, Xicheng District, Beijing Zoo is divided into the East District, South District and North District. In the East District, you will find African lions, white lions, Bengal white tigers, Siberian tiger, brown bear, black bear, monkeys, Lynx caracal, leopard cat, leopard, cougar, and the like.
In addition, pandas, kangaroos, manatees, penguins,flamingos, black-necked crane, sandhill crane, intermediate egret, black-necked swan and saltwater crocodile are also kept in the zoo.
There are 100 types of reptile in the zoo as well in the West District. You can visit the aquarium in the North District as well and white rhinoceros, one-horned rhinoceros and hippo
Several old buildings are in the zoo too. The Changguan Building was built in 1902. It was built as a resting palace for Empress Dowager Cixi. The two-storey building is a European Baroque building built with a brick and wood. You could admire it facade as it is not open to the public.
There is a Children Zoo where children can interact with the animals such as sheep, goats, big ears, rabbits, dogs, cats, guinea pigs, and macaques, feeding and touching them
The best time to visit Beijing Zoo is in the morning. The best months to visit are from April to July and from September to November.
There are several buses passing by Beijing Zoo. Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a vehicle to Beijing Zoo. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 27, 87, 105, 107, 111, 332, 347, 360, 362, 534, 563 and Bus 632 to the Stop of the Zoo (动物园站).
- Take Metro Line 4 to the Stop of the Zoo (动物园站).
- Opening hours: 07:30 – 18:00 (April 1 – October); 07:30 – 17:00 (November 1 – March 31)
- As at 8th October 2020, from April 1 to October, the entrance pricing to Beijing Zoo is 15 CNY per person, the combo ticket for Beijing Zoo (including the panda hall) is 19 CNY per person; from November 1 to March 31, the entrance pricing to Beijing Zoo is 10 CNY per person, the combo ticket for Beijing Zoo (including the panda hall) is 14 CNY per person. The entrance pricing to the shuttle bus in the zoo is 10 CNY per person, the entrance pricing to the aquarium is 130 CNY per person. Children under 1.2m tall (1.2m tall included) are free of charge. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- It is not recommended that you visit the zoo on holidays or at weekend.
- Please do not feed the animals with your own food.
- It is not suggested that you visit the zoo in winter as the animals are quiet and would not like to move when it is cold.
- The aquarium offer s dolphin shows and sea lion shows. Please pay attention to the opening shows if you are interested to enjoy them