Baofeng Lake - a combination of landscape and folk customs!
Last Update: 6th October 2020
What is Baofeng Lake?
Located 34 kilometers from Zhangjiajie City and 8 kilometers from Tianzi Mountain and Yellow Dragon Cave, Baofeng Lake features the natural beauty and the charm of folk customs in Wulingyuan District.
Baofeng Lake Fast Facts
Interested in visiting the Baofeng Lake during a Zhangjiajie Tour?
Wendy Wei Tours offers a variety of different packaged tours as well as custom tours including the Baofeng Lake, among other attractions and destinations. To find out more, please visit our Tours page or Contact Us directly to find out more.
What to expect at Baofeng Lake
Baofeng Lake Scenic Area is a combination of landscape and folk customs, especially known for its stunning scenery of Baofeng Waterfall and the mysterious ancient temple hidden in the mountains. This lake is located between the mountains. The area is mainly composed of Baofeng Lake and Yingwo Village. Visitors can explore its scenic spots - Baofeng Lake, Baofeng Waterfall, Lovers Meet Peaks, Baofeng Zen Temple, Yunya Plank Road, Thin Strip of Sky Valley and Yingwo Village.
Baofeng Lake is 72 meters deep and 2.5 kilometers long. If you’d like to enjoy the beauty of Baofeng Lake, it is recommended that you take a cruise boat. The boat is exquisitely decorated in ancient Chinese style. Several peaks stands in one of the two small islands located in the lake. Baofeng Zen Temple has a history of more than 1,000 years. With a altitude of over 1,000 meters, Yingwo Village is home to eagles along with an old temple. With an average of less than 2 meters, the Thin Strip of Sky is over 200 meters long, and more than 100 meters high.
There is a Tujia building with high feet situated on the edge of the lake. Whenever there is a cruise boat passing by, one Tujia boy will sing a Tujia folk song. If you have confidence in your voice, you can also sing with him. A Tujia girl on the deck will explain the stories about those stones around the lake to us. We could imagine the stories with our brain. The islet stands quietly in the heart of Baofeng Lake.
Best time to visit Baofeng Lake
The best months to visit Baofeng Lake is April, May, August and September as these months are not too hot or not too cold. It is very hot with much rain in June and July while it is cold in winter at Baofeng Lake.
How to get to the Baofeng Lake
Bus 2 departing from Wulingyuan District ends at Baofeng Lake and passes Wulingyuan Bus Station. Therefore, visitors shall know how to get to Wulingyuan Bus Station first. There are several options for how to get to Baofeng Lake.
- Rent a vehicle from Zhangjiajie. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a flight to Zhangjiajie airport from Guilin, Beijing, Chengdu, Wuhan, Xi’an and other cities. Then, rent a car to Zhangjiejie Central Bus Station (张家界中心汽车站) to take a bus to Wulingyuan Bus Station. Then, take Bus 2 to Baofeng Lake. Alternatively, rent a car from Wulingyuan Bus Station to Baofeng Lake.
- Take a train to Zhangjiajie train station from Guangzhou, Nanning, Shenzhen, Wuchang and other cities. Then, walk to the Zhangjiajie Central Bus Station to take take a bus to Wulingyuan Bus Station. Then, take Bus 2 to Baofeng Lake. Alternatively, rent a car from Wulingyuan Bus Station to Baofeng Lake.
Additional Baofeng Lake Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 07:00 - 18:00 (April 1st - October 31st); 07:30 - 17:00 (November 1st - March 31st)
- As at 6th October 2020, entrance pricing (including the admission to the lake and the ticket for the cruise boat ) is 96 CNY per person; Children under 1.3m (1.3m not included) and the elder above 70 years old (70 years old included) are free of charge; Children between 1.3m (1.3m included) and 1.5m (1.5m not included) are charged 60 CNY per person; The elder between 60 years old (60 years old included) and 70 years old (70 years old not included) are charged 60 CNY per person. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Be sure not to throw rubbish into Baofeng Lake.
- Please check out weather condition ahead of time. If it is rainy during your tour, please take a coat with you to keep warm as it is a little cold in Wulingyuan District on rainy days.
- When someone wants you to buy the herbs he has in the scenic area, be sure not to get the herbs as they could be fake to a large extent.
- If you plan to visit the area in summer, you’d better take the sunscreen, floral water, sunglasses, band-aid and hats. Please remember to wear antiskid hiking shoes.
- During the National Day Festival of China, Spring Festival and the summer holiday, pricing for hotels and restaurants also goes up as they are the peak season in China