Areya Street - old street in Kashgar with various bazaars
Last Update: 17th October 2020
Areya Street is an old featured street in the Ga Er Ancient City. A legend tells that during the period of the Shule Kingdom, a flood that was unexpected in a hundred years attacked the city. The residents in the city flocked to the high places. When the city was to be drowned in the flood, a fissure appeared in the ground that the water flowed along the fissure to the distance. Consequently, the residents survived and the ancient city of Kashgar was preserved. Nowadays, the fissure is Areya Street. Areya means that there is a river in the middle.
Areya Street Fast Facts
- Chinese Name: A Re Ya Lu (阿热亚路)
- Length: 600 meters
- Things to do there: Photography, Hiking, Handicrafts, Bazaar
- Who visits: Photographers, Adventure Enthusiasts, Handicrafts Lovers
- Time required: 1 – 2 x hours
What to expect at Areya Street
Areya Street is 600 meters long, offering several types of bazaar to explore. You will find flowerpot Bazaar, Kantuman (a type of Uyghur farming tool similar to spade) Bazar, woodware Bazaar, traditional Uyghur medicine Bazaar, seasoning and tea Bazaar, pottery bazaar and embroidered hats Bazaar. The street is a great place to experience Kashgar history and culture and Uyghur ethnic customs. The street is home to around 60 shops. All the goods at the shop are handmade by the owner. They look fairly exquisite.
Hasap Bazaar Mosque, Yage Bazaar Mosque, Kebok Bazaar Mosque and Jumah Mosque are situated on the street. Except the Kebok Bazaar Mosque, the other 3 mosques are in use at present.
The doors of the houses are carved beautifully. Most of the buildings on the street are several hundred years old. They all are built with immature soil. On the street, you will experience the authentic local lifestyle. The elders always play local unique instruments very well.
Best time to visit Areya Street
If you are interested to explore the local life, the best time to visit is during the daytime.
If you are planning to visit the street for photography purposes, the best time to visit is during the sunset.
The best months to visit are from April to September.
How to get to Areya Street
As Areya Street lies in the Ga Er Ancient City which is situated near the Id Kah Mosque, you could get to the mosque first and then walk to the ancient city. Therefore, there are a few options.
- Rent a vehicle to the ancient city. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take Bus 2, 7, 8, 13, 22 and Bus 28 to the Stop of Ai Ti Ga Er (艾提尕尔站).
Additional Areya Street Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 10:00 – 20:00
- As at 17th October 2020, the entrance pricing to Ga Er Ancient City where Areya Street is located is 30 CNY per person. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- If you would like to take photos of locals, please ask them if it is OK with them.
- Please wear the sunscreen cream, sunglasses and the like as it is dry around the year in Kashgar.