Yellow Dragon Cave - acclaimed as “Cave Wonder in the World!
Last Update: 6th October 2020
What is Yellow Dragon Cave?
Situated more than 30 kilometers away from Zhangjiajie City, the Yellow Dragon Cave is called "China's Most Beautiful Cave for Tourists". The total area at the bottom of the cave is 100,000 square meters. It is 7.5 kilometers long.
Yellow Dragon Cave Fast Facts
Interested in visiting the Yellow Dragon Cave during a Zhangjiajie Tour?
Wendy Wei Tours offers a variety of different packaged tours as well as custom tours including the Yellow Dragon Cave, among other attractions and destinations. To find out more, please visit our Tours page or Contact Us directly to find out more.
What to expect at Yellow Dragon Cave
Yellow Dragon Cave is divided into four layers. The largest hall covers an area of 12,000 square meters. The cave offers a reservoir, two underground rivers, three underground waterfalls, four ponds, 13 halls, and 96 corridors. Visitors can enjoy stalactites, stone pillars, stalagmites, sarcophagi, stone harps, and stone flowers. Dinghai Shenzhen Pillar is 19.2 meters hill, with the thin middle and thick ends. It is estimated that the stone pillar has grown for 200 thousand years up to now at least.
The Xiangshuihe River is one of the two rivers in the cave. It is 2,820 meters long but a section of 800 meters is open to visitors. The Xiangshuihe River has an average water depth of 6 meters and a maximum depth of 12 meters. It is home to the giant salamander. Visitors can visit part of the cave on a boat on the river. The admission to the boat is included in the ticket for the cave.
Best time to visit Yellow Dragon Cave
The best months to visit Yellow Dragon Cave is from March to November. If you visit during the summer months, it will be cool and comfortable indoors away from the summer sun.
How to get to the Yellow Dragon Cave
- Bus 1 in Wulingyuan District passes Wulingyuan Bus Station and Yellow Dragon Cave. Therefore, visitors shall know how to get to Wulingyuan Bus Station first. There are several options for how to get to Yellow Dragon Cave.
- Rent a vehicle from Zhangjiajie. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a flight to Zhangjiajie airport from Guilin, Beijing, Chengdu, Wuhan, Xi’an and other cities. Then, rent a car to Zhangjiejie Central Bus Station (张家界中心汽车站) to take a bus to Wulingyuan Bus Station. Then, take Bus 1 to Yellow Dragon Cave. Alternatively, rent a car from Wulingyuan Bus Station to Yellow Dragon Cave.
- Take a train to Zhangjiajie train station from Guangzhou, Nanning, Shenzhen, Wuchang and other cities. Then, walk to the Zhangjiajie Central Bus Station to take take a bus to Wulingyuan Bus Station. Then, take Bus 1 to Yellow Dragon Cave. Alternatively, rent a car from Wulingyuan Bus Station to Baofeng Lake.
Additional Yellow Dragon Cave Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 08:00 - 17:00 (April 1st - October 15th); 08:30 - 17:00 (October 16th - March 31st)
- As at 6th October 2020, entrance pricing (including the admission to the cave and the boat on Xiangshuihe River) to Yellow Dragon Cave is 100 CNY per person; Children under 1.3m (1.3m not included) and the elder above 70 years old (70 years old included) are free of charge; Children between 1.3m (1.3m included) and 1.5m (1.5m not included) are charged 60 CNY per person; The elder between 60 years old (60 years old included) and 70 years old (70 years old not included) are charged 60 CNY per person; entrance pricing to the Maze in Yellow Dragon Cave is 15 CNY per person which is applied to all ages while it’s optional. For the latest pricing information, please contact us via email (email@example.com)
- The temperature inside the cave is relatively low, especially on the river. Even if you visit it in summer, it is suggested that you take a jacket with you.
- There is no washroom in the cave.
- As it takes about 2 - 3 hours to visit the cave, it is recommended that you take some food and drink with you in case that you are hungry during the tour or after you finish the tour.