Tianzi Mountain - an ideal place for enjoying the original scenery and natural beauty
Last Update: 6th October 2020
What is Tianzi Mountain?
As part of Wulingyuan Scenic Area in Zhangjiajie, Tianzi Mountain is located in the northwest of Wulingyuan. It features primary forests with rare trees and flowers, towering natural peaks with different shapes, and unique rock gates.
Tianzi Mountain Fast Facts
Interested in visiting Tianzi Mountain during a Zhangjiajie Tour?
Wendy Wei Tours offers a variety of different packaged tours as well as custom tours including Tianzi Mountain, among other attractions and destinations. To find out more, please visit our Tours page or Contact Us directly to find out more.
What to expect at Tianzi Mountain
The scenery of Tianzi Mountain is different in spring, summer, autumn and winter. Even the scenery at dawn, in the morning, at dusk and in the evening is different. The Tianzi Mountain backdropped by the sunset or sunrise clouds is like a magnificent and colorful oil painting; under the moonlight, the peaks in the mist make up an ink landscape painting. In spring, flowers on the mountain are stunning; in winter, the mountain is covered with snow.
After rain, the mountain is surrounded by clouds. Tianzi Mountain offers unique “Sky Fields” (空中田园) located on a single stone pillar on a cliff, Shentang Bay (神堂湾), Dianjiang Platform (点将台) set in a deep valley, Helong Park, Xianren Bridge (仙人桥)- a natural arch spanning across a valley, Shenbing Juhui Peaks (神兵聚会), Yubi Peak (御笔峰), and a cable-way and so on to explore. In the Shenbing Juhui Peaks area, peaks in different height stand there. They are standing by just like soldiers to fight with the intruders. If the sea of clouds blows among them, it seems these soldiers are marching in the sea of clouds.
Best time to visit Tianzi Mountain
The best time to visit Tianzi Mountain is from April to October as it is not too hot or too cold during this period of time. April and October is the two best months to visit Tianmen Mountain.
How to get to Tianzi Mountain
Zhangjiajie offers the tourists bus from Zhangjiajie Central Bus Station (张家界中心汽车站) to Tianzi Mountain Ticket Station (天子山门票站). Therefore, there are several options.
- Rent a car from Zhangjiajie airport, Zhangjiajie Train Station or Zhangjiajie Bus Station to the mountain. This is the quickest and most direct option.
- Take a flight to Zhangjiajie airport from Guilin, Beijing, Chengdu, Wuhan, Xi’an and other cities. Then, take Bus 4 or rent a car to the Central Bus Station to take the tourists bus. It takes 2 hours drive from the station to Tianzi Mountain Ticket Station.
- Take a train to Zhangjiajie train station from Guangzhou, Nanning, Shenzhen, Wuchang and other cities. Then, walk to the Central Bus Station to take the tourists bus. It takes 2 hours drive from the station to Tianzi Mountain Ticket Station. Alternatively, rent a car to the ticket station.
Additional Tianzi Mountain Travel Advice
- Opening hours: 08:00 - 17:00
- As Tianzi Mountain is part of Wulingyuan Scenic Area which is composed of Zhangjiajie National Forest Park (张家界国家森林公园), Suoxi Vally Nature Reserve (索溪峪自然保护区)，Tianzishan Mountain Nature Reserve (天子山自然保护区), and Yangjiajie Scenic Area (杨家界风景区), visitors can enter the Tianzi Mountain Area from Tianzi Mountain Ticket Station with the pass ticket for Wulingyuan Scenic Area. The pass ticket is valid in four days from the date when you get it ( For example, if the ticket is issued at 13:00 on Monday 9th July, 2018, the ticket is valid by 13:00 on Friday 13th July, 2018). You could take a complimentary eco-friendly car with the pass ticket. With the pass ticket, you can visit all the four scenic areas mentioned above and can enter the Wulingyuan from one of five entrances at the five ticket stations.
- As at 6th October 2020, admission fee which is applied between March 1st and November 30th plus the Spring Festival is as follows. Admission fee to Wulingyuan Area is 248 CNY per adult (including the insurance); Children under 1.3m (1.3m not included) and the elders above 70 years old (70 years old included) are free of charge whilst these people are charged 68 CNY per person for the eco-friendly car(including insurance); Children between 1.3m (1.3m included) and 1.5m (1.5m not included) are charged 163 CNY per person(including insurance); The elder between 60 years old (60 years old included) and 70 years old ( 70 years old not included) are charged 168 CNY per person (including insurance)
- As at 6th October 2020, admission fee which is applied between December 1st and February 28th/29th is as follows. Admission fee to Wulingyuan Area is 126 CNY per adult (including the insurance). Notes: The area can be closed because of the snow in winter.
- As at 6th October 2020, admission fee to the cable car of Tianzi Mountain is 72 CNY per adult for one-way trip; Children under 1.3m (1.3m not included) are free of charge; Children between 1.3m (1.3m included) and 1.5m (1.5m not included) are charged 43 CNY per person for one-way trip; The elder above 60 years old (60 years old included) are charged 43 CNY per person for one-way trip.
- It is recommended that you take an umbrella with you when visiting the Wulingyuan Scenic Area in Zhangjiajie.
- If you plan to visit the area in summer, you’d better take the sunscreen, floral water, sunglasses, band-aid and hats. Please remember to wear antiskid hiking shoes.
- During the National Day Festival of China, Spring Festival and the summer holiday, pricing for hotels and restaurants also goes up.
- You could bargain for what you want to buy in Zhangjiajie if you can speak Chinese well.
- The ticket offices of most scenic spots offer luggage storage service.
- Be sure not to explore the areas marked with "No Passing" and "Dangerous" .
- The mountain road is wet and slippery in rainy days. In addition, rain and fog can also lead to unclear sight. Thus, it is not suggested that you risk climbing the mountain in the rain.